Standpipe Bath Filler - pipe connections don't fit!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A fancy standpipe type bath mixer has a mixer tap gadget and two chrome tubes for it to sit into. But I can't fit a tap adapter inside the chrome tubes - how an I supposed to connect the pipes to it?

Help!

Andy

Sponsored Links
Did it come from Bathstore.com? The tubes may be designed for taps with 1/2" threads , ie foreign high pressure type. If it all came from the same place, whinge.
I know you can get tubes fat enough for 3/4" nuts, but not where from. :(

What about 0.5 female iron to 15mm solder fitting, length of 15mm tube to fit inside the chrome sleeves and hook up to the supply under the floor?

Thanks guys

I should've mentioned it's a 3/4 thread and I was hoping to get 22mm pipes on (it's a big bath!). But even the 3/4 nut won't fit in the tube. Maybe croydoncorgi is on to something - maybe a tube not and gas-style threaded iron pipe is what I need with a tap adapter under the floor - crikey what a performance! Actually the bits are all from B&Q (Jan sale had 15% off!) so perhaps Chris is right and I should whinge.

I wondered if I was missing anything obvious - y'know "oh you need a finnegan's No 1 nut" or some such.

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
If a 3/4 nut won't fit into the sleeve I doubt whether a 3/4 coupling would either. But if so, you could couple-on a bit of galvanised barrel and deal with the connections sub-floor......

I'm rubbish at the right words - that's what I was thinking of, but galv is a good idea. Bound to get a bit wet.

cheers

Andy

Are you sure the chrome tubes are meant to go over the 3/4" tap connector nut? If the tubes just cover the 22mm copper below and but up against the bottom of the brass tap connector nuts might it look OK? What exactly is the internal diameter of the chrome tubes?

Yeah, they come with a threaded part that screws onto the 3/4 BSP thread and has a groove which engages with a grub screw to secure the tap assembly to the stand pipe. You need to see it, but the tube has to go over the nut to be secured.

After some grubbing around in my local merchants, we found a solder-ring fitting with a nut just small enough to fit inside the chrome tube. Even then I had to file the corners a bit to get it through the slightly smaller diameter at the flange end. What a palaver!

Why on earth a compression 3/4 nut is bigger than a 3/4 nut on a solder fitting escapes me.

Thanks for the help and ideas, I'm sorted now.

Cheers

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back