standpipes and tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of refurbishing the bathroom. We need to fit freestanding standpipes and the floor will be tiled. What I can't get my head round is the sequence of tiling and the plumbing.

1) This is not helped by the fact that I can't seem to find any information on standpipes. Are they simply sleeves and a 22mm (?) pipe runs up the centre to a tap connector? Or are the standpipes threaded at the top to take the taps?

2) I think that I will need to have the underfloor plumbing in place and have the pipes sticking up through the floor. The trouble with that as I see it is how my tiler will get the holes cut in the right place so the tile can slide over. This does seem to be a bit of a cock-eyed approach since tiling is messy and I can see the standpipes getting wrecked with adhesive!

I am sure that there has to be a much better way of approaching this.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It will almost certainly be the case that you'll need to do the plumbing before the tiling, but purchasing the standpipes and looking at the connections required will give you an idea of what you need to do, they're not all the same by a long way.

Tiling is only messy if you've employed a messy tiler, a good one will be able to cut the holes in the right place and slide them over and, if he gets any adhesive on the pipes, will clean it off before it sets. The holes will be able to be slightly bigger as most standpipes have flanges on the bottom that will cover the hole, or if it's the pre-plumbed type the tiles may need cutting and fitting either side of the pipe.

Thanks for that. After doing a bit more research, looks like the ones I intend to use have the water pipe running up inside the standpipe. So tap connector on the end and fastened to the tap, pull down the tap and secure with an Allen key, then fasten the standpipe down at the base. Then make the plumbing connection underneath the floor.......that bits the tricky bit :cry:

Sounds complex...do you have a link to the manufacturers website? Might be able to advise a better way of approaching it

Sponsored Links
Sounds complex...do you have a link to the manufacturers website? Might be able to advise a better way of approaching it

Website gives no info ...Hudson Reed Minimalist Standpipes. The info I posted was verbally from Hudson Reed and, if I'm honest, it did seem OK.

have a flexly pipes under the floor, plumb in the bath proper (allowing extra height for the tiles) remove the bath and tile.

the flexlys will allow 'some give' in the pipes after tiling and refitting.

isolating the water to the bath may be a headache tho...

have a flexly pipes under the floor, plumb in the bath proper (allowing extra height for the tiles) remove the bath and tile.

Sorry. not with you. The bath is totally separate to the freestanding taps.

Are you suggesting that the feedpipes to the taps are plastic (hep2O)? I like that idea. Stick a tap connector on the end of the plastic. Rely on the setscrew in the top of the standpipe to keep the taps secure.

Sorry. not with you. The bath is totally separate to the freestanding taps.

Are you suggesting that the feedpipes to the taps are plastic (hep2O)? I like that idea. Stick a tap connector on the end of the plastic. Rely on the setscrew in the top of the standpipe to keep the taps secure.

well yeah, something like that. if you plumb all in copper, the pipes will be ridged.

if you use plastic or have a join in flexy pipes just under the floor, will that help?

1) Why don't you speak with your tiler beforehand? There are ways of tiling around pipes.

2) Is there any flexibility about the position of the pipes? When we had to run pipes for the new shower, I made some calculations and marked how the tiles were going to be positioned on the wall. Then we adjusted the pipes, so that they come out of the wall exactly where the joint between the tiles is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back