Stanley dual fuel oven and central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My aunt's Stanley is not behaving and turns itself off consistently (unplanned).
This much I know
  • I am a trained electrical engineer.
  • She has had many related engineers look to fix, none yet successful.
  • They have changed the timer/programmer unit.
  • Because of the previous points I have not yet looked at it until today.
  • I fired it up today and all works fine, after a period of time it stops. The power looks to now be absent from the timer/programmer (i.e. no LED display,no control LED).
  • I am surmising that for some change of circumstances (heat rise) the timer/programmer is losing its power feed due to a systems fault (to be further identified), further to this.I'm thinking that bypassing this unit and running in manual will confirm all else works okay and the area of the fault is the controller/timer power supply.
  • Comments on thinking and any other experiences welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Have you got a wiring diagram ? Which model of Stanley is it ?
I have a 100k twin series. It is old but works fine.
Live to the programmer comes in via the mains tagblock and then through the 'Oven Limit' and then through 'Boiler Limit' stats.
I think these are button operated and re-settable so if they are not tripping then one of them might have become a bit 'iffy'.

If the programmer has no LCD display then you are certainly on the right tracks.

By-passing might not be a good idea as you would be by-passing in-built safety devices.

Personally I would identify the route of the mains in from the tag-block to the programmer, identify the 2 suspect stats and add some 'test-points' so that I could check how far the mains has got upon failure.

I believe the 2 trips on mine are located on the bottom panel. They are button operated with screw caps on them.

andytw

Last edited:
Hi Andy

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and opinions.
I just "looked at it" over the weekend as part of a discussion as to "....have the experts fixed the cooker....", no tools or panel removing was involved.......
You are correct, the next stage is to get the appropriate drawing related to this model, before getting stuck in.
Testing from what I have "live feed" and letting the system operate to the point that it goes to fault and test again is the logical process in narrowing down what is happening.I'll check the two buttons are you suggest because the "experts" have already changed the programmer/timer.

Steve

As an electrical engineer you should have no problem following the supply through the appliance.

As suggested the limit stats may well have operated or be operating at the wrong temperature.

But blindly changing parts is not the correct way to diagnose faults.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If it happens to be the same model as mine I am happy to scan diagrams and email them to you.

I think you can rule out normal operation of the stats as they would need manual intervention to get them going again which is not happening.
Also need to not assume you have 2 stats wired the same as mine.

andytw

Hi Andytw,

It's taken all this time to get the relations to just relate the info on the makers plate and that's not all of it........

It's a Brandon 80, with no other info proffered.

I'd be appreciative if you could scan your drawings as even if not the exact model, they'll be a good guide

Regards

Steve
[email protected]

No probs. I am away at the moment. Back home Thursday. Mine is not a Brandon but understood re similarity.

andytw

Thanks Andytw.

I'll let you know how I get on

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back