start the boiler up pilot goes out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
glowworm spacesaver 38
a few weeks ago after the boiler was up to temprature burners would stop pilot still alight "clunk" [i assume gas valve closing not regestering the pilot is on via thermo couple]pilot goes out i could quickly wind it round to pilot [before the gas empties out the pipework] press pilot button pilot would flare up again warms up then stays on
now when i start the boiler a few seconds later "clunk"boiler shuts down
its as if the the actions of the boiler are causing a draught momenterily so the pilot goes out
as i know nothing about gas or plumbing is there any thing outside the boiler i can legaly adjust to help :cry: ;)

Sponsored Links
By the sound of it, it could be the thermo couple . after the flame goes out do you hear the cluncking noise within about 30 secs, if so that is the gas valve safety kickin in. check that the pilot flame is correct length(should be in installation instruction) it may be that is not in contact adiquatley

Sponsored Links
thanks men just wonderd what is required i last year turned up the pilot cos it kept going out with the wind it has been burning yellow for a year so maybe its sooted up the thermocouple [what ever that is ;) ]
would it help if i remooved any traces of soot from around the pilot and burner before involving a corgie registerd engineer to finnish and cerify the job i could ask my brother he is a time served plumber but very buisy
[not now corgie registerd] any things i should be aware of whilst hoovering and wire brushing thanks a lot

sorry easylee it goes clunk if i quickly turn it round to pilot and push [within about 5 secs]there is enough gas in the pipes so it doesnt go out
but often takes several mins to warm up again[instead of the expected 30 seconds] somtimes a lot more sometimes a lot less

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back