Started the wiring on my first new build.

plus if you wire back to a central hub you can use a patch panel to connect / disconnect as needed..

2 points to every room.. 1 phone, 1 network ..

Sponsored Links
I agree, but there is little point for a few sockets. If you are going to flood wire a couple dual points per room it makes sence.

As for IP phones, when they do become more mainstream, they are bound to be cordless as well - either with a base station, or using your router as a base station.

Thanks for the replies, but I'm not quite getting it 100%

So, starting at the loft, run 3 coax's (CT100, PH100 etc) (& a phoneline) down to the main TV location. Would I use something like this at the main TV location - http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25534...xed-Return;jsessionid=Z0CDTDQRNAMKACSTHZOSFFA

Which sockets on the Labgear would the 3 coax's terminate into ?

What is the return used for ?

For the other TV points around the house would I run a coax from the loft to each individual point ? (unless the customer wanted Digiboxes at that location)

FM and UHF are diplexed into the one coax for the secondary locations, and FM, UHF and SAT are triplexed onto one coax for the main location. The other two coaxes to the main location are for a second sat for sky plus, and an uplink for the secondary locations
Sorry, dont understand this

Always concentrated on learning about socket wiring etc, never really gave the TV/SKY side of it a thought :oops:

Yes, that screwfix part is ALMOST the one for the main tv location.

On the rear of that one there is connection for TWO coax. It doesn't have provision for the sky+ coax.

One coax has UHF ('normal TV'), FM (inc dab), and SKY. (hence TRIplex).

The second coax is the return which is just a single socket which allows the digibox to send its signal back up into the loft to the loft box booster to be distributed to other rooms, so other rooms can watch the sky (same channel). It also provides a path for the remote control signal if you want to use remote magic eyes.

The third coax is purely for a second SKY drop - this is for use with SKY+ boxes, they require two LNB inputs from the dish.

Some loft boxes and wall plates actually combine cable 2 and 3 together, but as this is a new build, best to fit all three.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page15.htm

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/triax_304114.htm

Sponsored Links
sorry to be pedantic but i have to disagree with Lectrician

as you have stated this is a new build so drop in 4 ct100 and use two for direct sky feeds one for the return feed and the last for FM/DAB combined if necessary. that way you get the best possible signal as combining/splitting signals will always degrade them

Dropping 4 coax drops is getting extreme.

You would not put the 4 into a double box - You would need to use a couple outlet plates, and then have a seperate telephone point too.

I will continue to drop 3 and use a triplexor / uplink / telecom / sky+ plate as I have already linked to - No complaints so far, including from sky or their subbies who come to fit the dish and digibox.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back