starter motor change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my starter motor is on its way out so ive purchaced a 2nd hand one from ebay. are they straight forward to change? . ive had a look and it seems as if its only 2 wires and 3bolts. im pretty handy with tools so is it as easy as it looks? the car is a 1999 seat ibiza cupra gti. cheers

Sponsored Links
excellent . yeah i will do. think ill give it ago next time its half decent wheather lol. cheers

May need to pop a jack under the engine as i think the front engine mount shares the same fixings as the starter motor

Sponsored Links
cheers neo. ive heard that from a few places so must be true. ill investigate that before i start taking bolts out. cheers

Starter motors draw a lot of current so make sure you clean all your teminals on both the motor and the wires with sandpaper down to shiny bare metal, smear a little vaseline on the surfaces before you reassemble.

When you old one comes out I bet it has a worn away rim around the where the gear teeth engage (make sure your new one off ebay isn't in the same condition!)

And dont over tighten the bolts - alloy engines, easy to strip the threads.

One other thing, check the new starter and see if it comes with a new brass bush.
If it does, then when you remove the old starter, pull it out squarely or the bush will drop into the gearbox :mad:

Back