STARTER MOTOR PROBLEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a LDV Convoy van. (10 years old) When I start the engine, the starter motor makes a churring noise and then starts. Once started all is ok. Is the starter on its way out?

Andy

Sponsored Links
I'm not too sure what you mean by your 'churring' noise, but all starter motors get contaminated with quantities of clutch dust, which they really don't enjoy...
I'd be inclined to pop the starter out, blow all of the dust away and give the bush on the end of the pinion shaft a light spray of Duck Oil. At the same time, check to see if there is any up and down play on the starter shaft, and notice if any teeth are chipped on the drive pinion.
John :)

Duck oil??? Never herd of it John, can I use WD40?

The churring noise is like the starter straining?

Andy

Aye the old Duck Oil is still around, and its made by the Swarfega people in aerosol.
Its preferred because it flows better into the porous bronze bushes that support the starter shaft - a sintered material called Oilite.
No matter - WD will be fine in this case. If the starter is on its way out, it could be cranking slower than it should, and the casing may get quite hot.
You'd may like to check all of the cable connections for cleanliness and tightness whilst you're in there - not the most enviable task! Most people chuck in an exchange starter if its in doubt. Battery connections and earth straps play an important part too.
John :)

Sponsored Links
John your the best!

Anyway I have just found a new starter motor of flee bay for £65.00.

Happy Days :LOL:

Andy

Back