Steel beam quote/price

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.was hoping someone could advise on a quote i have been given.

Its for a steel beam, 203x203 x 46.
Its spliced into 3 peices
All bolts will be supplied, all holes drilled etc including (36 high strength bolts)

Quote including delivery is £750.

Is that about average or is that too high? Its in west midlands area

Sponsored Links
Seems cheep to me that I would say over £1k for that a lot of work to do the fish plates and 8.8 bolts galvo are not cheep

Seems cheep to me that I would say over £1k for that a lot of work to do the fish plates and 8.8 bolts galvo are not cheep

That quote is for the materials only, il be putting the beams in myself with some mates. Kinda dreading it lol

Sponsored Links
That quote is for the materials only, il be putting the beams in myself with some mates. Kinda dreading it lol
Yep defo cheep that it’s about a day in labour to cut and mark and drill for your fish plates and depending if they have a punch to do the plates on and than drill the steel it’s probably about £40 just for the bit for the mag drill.

The full beam length is about 5.8 meters. Each section will be about 1.9 meters

Are you having them in sections because of the weight or because of access?

I pulled 3 up but the biggest was a 6.2mtr 203x133 25kg/mtr so yours is another 100kg on top.

We pulled 1 through a window, 1 through a hole in the wall and the big one up a ladder into a hole in the roof. Non with proper lifting gear.

I was thinking if there was a way you could get it in in 1 piece, even with the hire of some lifting gear, it could be cheaper or maybe even a smaller section if it were in 1 piece?

The full beam length is about 5.8 meters. Each section will be about 1.9 meters
price sounds about right.

the beam is under 300kg -I presume access is an issue meaning you are doing it in 3 pieces?

A single piece would be easier to install overall -less to lift and line up.

Im wondering how you would lift and bolt the 3 sections? -Im guessing the brickwork is still in place below?

price sounds about right.

the beam is under 300kg -I presume access is an issue meaning you are doing it in 3 pieces?

A single piece would be easier to install overall -less to lift and line up.

Im wondering how you would lift and bolt the 3 sections? -Im guessing the brickwork is still in place below?

It has to be in 3 peices as we are mid terrace and a full beam would be too dificult to get in, we woud have to go through neighbours wall and dont really think thy wud b willing to do tht.

Theres no solid brick wall below the loft, there are ash block walls but they are not really load bearing. The loft currently has chipboard flooring over ceiling beams.

I weight 90kg, my mate is 95kg and the othr mate is a whopping 120kg bodybuilder, we have all been in loft together and ceiling joists have been fine with our weight so im hoping it can take the 300kg beam weight even partially whilst we bolt it togthr.

Are you having them in sections because of the weight or because of access?

I pulled 3 up but the biggest was a 6.2mtr 203x133 25kg/mtr so yours is another 100kg on top.

We pulled 1 through a window, 1 through a hole in the wall and the big one up a ladder into a hole in the roof. Non with proper lifting gear.

I was thinking if there was a way you could get it in in 1 piece, even with the hire of some lifting gear, it could be cheaper or maybe even a smaller section if it were in 1 piece?

1 peice wud be ideal but as we are mid terrace it wud be difficlt if not impossible.

The steel supplier advised they cannot splice into two equal peices asyou cant really have joint directly in the middle, so one peice wud have to be bigger.

But do you reckon 3 90kg peices would be ok to get into the loft on a ladder, by 3 strong youngish lads?

But do you reckon 3 90kg peices would be ok to get into the loft on a ladder, by 3 strong youngish lads?

Yes, I think you’ll manage that easy enough. On one of mine they drilled a hole and it had a small U shackle/carabiner type think so I could tie a rope on it.

Also if you put a load of fish plates in there is a chance of a sag in it and your building inspector may get you to weld it up due to that as you will get 2mm per hole drilled so potentially you will get 8mm of sag each end.

Also if you put a load of fish plates in there is a chance of a sag in it and your building inspector may get you to weld it up due to that as you will get 2mm per hole drilled so potentially you will get 8mm of sag each end.

This is the design my engineer has given to the steel supplier or the spliced sections and fittings. Would these likely sag?

IMG-20190317-WA0029.jpg

No but I would ask him to change it to at least m16 bolts as m12 are a bit week and make sure there 8.8 ones too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back