Steel Central Heating Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Just wondering if someone could answer a quick question?

The central heating in my house is piped in a steel pipe not galvinised(Sp). Before I replace the current boiler next year (I hope) I want to upgrade the bedroom rad's (*2) & bathroom but as the title says these are steel with compression fittings.

Can I just (for now) remove the old steel pipe & pumb in a short lenght of 15mm copper into the existing 15mm steel compression fittings

Mike [/img]

Sponsored Links
What sort of steel :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Stainless steel was used back in the year dot and would account for the compression fittings.

Don't know off a compression fitting for steel tube which is normally threaded other than leadlok and repair fittings.

Hi

It seems to be extruded but it is within 0.0003/4" of 15 mm copper pipe.

I'd post a picture but i can't see how to do it.

Mike

Hi

It seems to be extruded but it is within 0.0003/4" of 15 mm copper pipe.

I'd post a picture but i can't see how to do it.

Mike

Save the pic in photobucket or similar then copy and paste the IMG tags

Sponsored Links
Sounds very much like the old Simplicity Elm Mild Steel Tube that you have installed.

Take it from one who knows - replace the bloody lot, urgently.

Sounds very much like the old Simplicity Elm Mild Steel Tube that you have installed.

Take it from one who knows - replace the b****y lot, urgently.

It will be going next year.

But what I need to know now is can I insert a copper pipe into these steel compression fittings???

Mike

Hi all

Thanks for all the replies.

JohnD ~ If you have a look at the second I think worring about corrision is a bit late now!!!

The steel compression fitting I'm on about is in img 1 if anyone can say if I can put copper into there, it will hopely only be for 6/8 months

Mike

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

Arghhhh..looks like Tru-wel(d) like I did as an apprentice in 1972 :eek: but the job was E.Sussex....those are 3/4 inch pipes and fittings so you`ll need to use adapter olives with 22mm fittings...P.S. I only did the underfloor lagging because I was 1st. year then :LOL: Never done anything like the other pic. :eek:

You will be ok using copper,your fittings are brass.The pipe could be a sort of stainless steel,used during a copper shortage in the late 70s,ive come across it a few times,bit of a bastard to cut and bend,try and replace it when possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back