Steel Fabricator - what do they do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning a dormer loft conversion. Architect’s completed designs, planning okay and SE done their thing. Now I need to get a steel fabricator onboard. Never used these before and don’t know what to expect.

Some of the steels need to be a little intricate - cranked, under-slung connections etc. The SE says that’s all part of the fabricators job to design these.

How do the fabricators work? Would they come round, measure up, give drawings for review etc?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Structural steel fabricators work from structural engineers drawings, they don’t normally do site visits.

They will be able to work out the connections - often plates need welding on or webs need cutting for beams where they meet each other.

when I was running an orangery company I was lucky to find a small local company who reasonable and rarely made any mistakes, but I’ve seen other builders struggle with steels having errors, often holes drilled wrong

Planning a dormer loft conversion. Architect’s completed designs, planning okay and SE done their thing. Now I need to get a steel fabricator onboard. Never used these before and don’t know what to expect.

Some of the steels need to be a little intricate - cranked, under-slung connections etc. The SE says that’s all part of the fabricators job to design these.

How do the fabricators work? Would they come round, measure up, give drawings for review etc?

Cheers!
SE's do all the design, spec, steel size, weld description, plates, drill holes, etc. Fabbies just follow. Customer or contractor does the measuring.
I make life easy for the fabbies and do all the cuts and angles for the welder. SE designs the connections though.

I always wondered what a diesel fitter did. Maybe work in a ladies boutique? When asked which size pair of trousers for a customer, he'll say "oh, diesel fitter."

Then there a driver's mate. Does he just have a friend who's a trucker?

[I'll get my coat]

Sponsored Links
do all the design, spec, steel size, weld description, plates, drill holes, etc. Fabbies just follow. Customer or contractor does the measuring.
I make life easy for the fabbies and do all the cuts and angles for the welder. SE designs the connections though.
A welder with HD brows :unsure:

must a welder who is also a TOWIE star

A welder with HD brows :unsure:

must a welder who is also a TOWIE star
Mobile welder with proper site gear - i.e petrol genny etc. Said £80 per hour. Brill, crack on I said. Took him just over an hour and he billed me £80 quid.
Now I'm thinking he'll want say £100 just for turning up and lugging his gear out the van and then £80 per, after that or some such. I gave the lad £150. Brilliant welder. He appreciated the back-to-metal cleaning I did. We actually offered to carry him up to the weld zone. :mrgreen:

SE's do all the design, spec, steel size, weld description, plates, drill holes, etc. Fabbies just follow. Customer or contractor does the measuring.

Blimey, how many storeys you holding up with that.

Mobile welder with proper site gear - i.e petrol genny etc. Said £80 per hour. Brill, crack on I said. Took him just over an hour and he billed me £80 quid.
Now I'm thinking he'll want say £100 just for turning up and lugging his gear out the van and then £80 per, after that or some such. I gave the lad £150. Brilliant welder. He appreciated the back-to-metal cleaning I did. We actually offered to carry him up to the weld zone. :mrgreen:
Its like watching an artist at work when a good welder is working, many years ago I worked at Faslane naval base with one of the top coded welders from BAE, used to watch him through a spare mask- fantastic

Its like watching an artist at work when a good welder is working, many years ago I worked at Faslane naval base with one of the top coded welders from BAE, used to watch him through a spare mask- fantastic

Are you sure the welder wasn't from Vickers Armstrong?

Sponsored Links
Back