stench pipe missing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a place that I know needs lot of work apart from the bathroom. One thing that I have noticed is no stench pipe outside or boxed in. upon removing units of the kitchen I have found what appears to be a soil pipe sticking up under units so I am wondering if the builder that lived there before me (obviously not a very good one) has used this as a stench pipe. Am I right in thinking If I plug this the toilet won't work correctly as a vacuum is achieved.

If this is the case am I right in thinking I can cut into pipe outside (plastic) and insert/seal a 110mm vent pipe to this above bungalow height that will be ok and inside regulations so that I can cover over the pipe in kitchen. Also what is best way to plug plastic soil pipe is it a cab or internal bung (obviously will need cutting below floor level.

Thanks for any advice!

++++++++++
Moved from "your projects"
See //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/share-your-diy-projects-with-us-no-queries-please.74081/
Mod
++++++++++

Sponsored Links
If the pipe looks like the one shown in the photograph here, then it's fine. The bit on the top is an Air Admittance Valve. It lets air in, but not out. I also have one inside a cupboard in my utility room, it's for the wc next door.

It is quite common for an AAV to be fitted to a stub stack in a cloakroom situation as per the linked photo, but the AAV should be installed above the 'spill level" of the appliances (usually the wash basin.

Can't say without seeing it but from your description it sounds that it is lower than the "splil level" or kitchen sink (assuming there is indeed a AAV fitted)

Sponsored Links
As far as I can tell it is just an open pipe with a couple of carrier bags stuffed in it and it's about 2 inches above floor. Think only connected to toilet. Will find out the weekend as will start ripping kitchen out ready for new one in a couple of weeks as got to run hot water etc there. He only run cold water to the kitchen!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back