Stephen fry on the phone- or how apple created the earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had been enjoying Fry's radio series about the mobile phone until the last outing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b017clwx/Stephen_Fry_on_the_Phone_The_Chips_inside_Smartphones/

In discussing ARm and smartphones he showed the usual Apple bias by claiming that the iPhone was the first to do this or that.

For example he lauded Apple for its apps, suggesting that now you could run 3rd party programs on phones. Big deal...

He omits to mention that you could already do that on Symbian and WM.

My first HTML browser was the oddly named Doris- running on a Nokia 7650 in 2002. That was over 5 years before the (app free) iPhone was released.

He gives praise to HTC for releasing the HTC Touch some months before the iPhone, odd that he mentions one of the budget machines and not the HTC Athena which was vastly superior to the iPhone..

I do like mrFry and am willing to accept his claim that he is an avid technophile and early adopter, but to boast that he had his first smartphone in 2007 is evidence of this apple tinted specs, after all my 2002 symbian based phone was a smart phone, without a touch screen, and my first touch screen phone was the XDA in 2003.

Why do we have to put up with Apple fans in the media rewriting history all of the time? By the end of the decade they will be claiming that Apple invented the phone/walkman/printer/GUI/pc/earth...

Sponsored Links
opps, you are an Apple denier. You should write a book and call it The Apple Delusion

Sponsored Links
opps, you are an Apple denier. You should write a book and call it The Apple Delusion

I jam ust so pee'd off with people that can just about tie their own shoe laces banging on about how amazing and innovative Apple are.

I have no problem with them being happy with their iProducts but they have never tried the alternatives and their initial "must have" impulses were defined by supposed experts in the press that are as ignorant of the smartphone lineage/technology as Fry.

Kudos to Apple they made smartphones a must have, but until we have a balanced press we will have a world created in the form of apple and the iPhone.

Take for example, MicroSoft, their windows mobile platform could do everything (bar multitouch) that (ANY version of) iOS could do and more. It was deemed too geeky and flaky (perhaps fair comment) and dropped once they released Windows Phone. WP being an attempt to entice would be iPhone users.

MicroSoft could have made WP7 all singing and dancing but no- they saw how you can fleece stoopid customers, making them pay for things that had previously been free, dictating (or rather trying to) to customers and hoodwinking them into believing that they know best, "if it ain't in the OS you don't need or want it".

I now own a phone that omits features that I had on phones more than 10 years ago. Why- because Apple's greed has been emulated by the other players.

Thanks a bunch to the press and Jobs...

I do like mrFry and am willing to accept his claim that he is an avid technophile and early adopter, but to boast that he had his first smartphone in 2007 is evidence of this apple tinted specs, after all my 2002 symbian based phone was a smart phone, without a touch screen, and my first touch screen phone was the XDA in 2003.
Like you opps, I've had smart phones for years (perhaps before Fry knew they existed). I haven't watched/listened to the link you've provided but if your post above is correct, I'm not sure that goes to prove he is blinded by Apple products (although I thoroughly believe he is). Fry may well have had 'HIS' first smart phone in 2007 but that doesn't say or mean it was 'the' first smart phone.

Back