Stepped cracks underneath window - see pictures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I finally got round to decorating my attic room on the second floor
(3 story house)
When I removed the wallpaper some of the plaster was loose and when I removed it / it fell off I saw cracks running from the bottom corners away from the window in steps.

We have lived in the house for 13 years
The house was built in 1901

I noticed a few years back whilst painting that the brickwork had moved slightly (Less than 1 cm) and I repointed (See pictures)

I'm no builder but didn't think it would be subsidence as its so high up and there is nothing underneath
I also notice that the previous occupants had replastered over these bits so it must have been like this for over 15 years at least (It wasn't newly decorated when we moved in.

I was going to repoint the holes / gaps on the inside before getting the plasterers in but thought someone may be able to give me a bit of advice

Should I be worried about this?
Should I be getting builders in?

Like I say, I think its been like this for a very long time with no more movement due to the previous work done by the owners 15+ years ago

The previous owners had aluminium double glazing in and we have had PVC double glazing since but the windows were put in the old frames without much disruption

All help appreciated
Thanks
WTY433

Sponsored Links
Its clearly moved, but if you did not notice these cracks through the plaster, and judging by the external repointing, then you could assume movement has stopped and its nothing to worry about

But while you have this exposed, get hold of a brick stitching kit from screwfix or elsewhere and repair the cracks.

Use some mesh in the plaster too, to prevent future cracking

Thanks for your help woody. Much appreciated.
How do brick fixing kits work?
I'm guessing the somehow tie the bricks together with a strap of some sort but Im only guessing - Like I said Im no builder.

Would this do more than repointing it all up
three of the brick wobble when I push them.
I was thinking of getting them out and then cementing them back in place and cementing / pinting all the holes...

Would this kit do more. Should I do both?
Thanks again to anyone with any knowledge
WTY433

WTY433 do some work yourself by searching this forum and use google for answers to the questions you raised.

Sponsored Links
Brick stitching is essentially gluing some steel rods into the joints across the crack to control future movement

Google for Helifix or Twistfix for details and a good overview

You can just take out looks bricks and replace them and point up the crack, but if there is slight movement again, then a minor crack may develop

Thanks again Woody.
Very interesting and I found a really great video on Twistfix

http://www.twistfix.co.uk/videos/crackstitchingrepairs

Nice to know there are people out there who will give you a couple of minutes of their time to get you started ... (Unlike Wavetrain)

I will probably get the kit (About a hundred pound) and get it done while its exposed.. It doesnt look too tricky

WTY433

Snide comments are against forum rules WTY433.

Before my previous post to you, I had not heard of brick stitching either. But 30 seconds on google changed that, some of the hits were from this forum written by woody a few years ago. But searching this forum and googling for initial research are not for you it seems, rather you prefer a one-to-one personal search engine!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back