Sticking edging to worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've fitted laminate worktops in my kitchen, and did some investigation into methods to stick the edging strip before I did it. As the worktops are gloss (yes, they will scratch!) the PVA and iron method wasn't recommended as the heat can ruin the finish. With several linear metres to be done, I wanted to avoid the mess of contact adhesive so I tried the Unika edging tape.

I've found that whilst the glue on the tape sticks wonderfully to the edging strip (ABS plastic) it doesn't stick so well to the chipboard core of the worktop. I've sanded, blown out the dust, shaved back any point bits with a razor, and it still won't stick well. I wonder if priming the chipboard will give the tape something better to stick to. Any ideas? Unika's technical helpline were not very useful!

Sponsored Links
Contact adhesive is ideal and should not be messy, though easily cleaned.

Contact adhesive is ideal and should not be messy, though easily cleaned.
Thanks - any recommendations on a good brand that is easy to clean? I've tried evostic impact (in a tin with a plastic spreader) and made a real mess lol

Sponsored Links
as above, contact adhesive is ideal - any name brand including Evostic.

pre-fitting laminate w/t's then all raw surfaces eg back edge & cutouts should be pre-primed and sealed with 2 x coats of say Evostic.
we use edging strip to seal the back edge of the w/t.
the end cut edge can also be sealed with 2 x coats. the first coat allowed to dry.
paste the w/t edge and the edging strip, and press the strip into position.
never had a problem with ironing on if a damp cloth and moderate heat are used.
allow to set and then remove surplus edging, and give a tiny chamfer with a small fine file.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back