stiff hot water valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change a washer on someone's hot water tap but the stopcock between the cistern and the hot water cylinder is too stiff to turn off by hand. If I put a screwdriver in the stopcock wheel to get more leverage I'm scared that I'll deform the copper pipes. Any tips on what I can do apart from putting a new stopcock on?

Sponsored Links
oooooooo risky business thats why we are insured me thinks.
drain it down and play with it safetly.

The valves have been known to completely fall apart

Surely you mean a gatevalve rather than a stopcock ;) Right, must take off my pedant hat.

I had one in my flat that wouldn't budge, no matter what, so I replaced it. Turns out that it was jammed almost completely shut with 20-odd years of cr*p blocking it, on the cold feed to the bathroom (from the tank).

As Taydo says, "drain it down and play with it safely". This is the surest way to make sure you don't pour gallons of water through a plaster ceiling, and will give you the opportunity to renew the seized valve.

Can any drips tell us how we can prevent gate valves jamming? Is it because people open them as far as they will turn, and would turning the wheel back a small amount stop this? Hardly seems worth having a valve that jams open!

Sponsored Links
Yep just drain down the cold feed tank and put a new stopcock a few inches below the old one, removing the old head. To prevent seizing open it fully then back it off half a turn. If you want to make super sure then just give them a full turn and back every couple of months.

Why put it a new one a few inches below the old one? Seeing as gatevalves all seem to be the same size, can't you just replace like with like? Leaving the old one there just without a head seems a bit daft to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back