stil struggling with my hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my old hob had two really thick cooker like wires (about six strands each) and an earth, connected by big bolt like connectors.
My new hob has tree live two neutrals and one earth connectors. The old wires do not fit.

is there some sort of step down box or connector i need??

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You need to link the three lives, link the two neutrals.

The hob should have come with brass links for this purpose.

You connect your live to one live terminal. Your neutral to one neutral terminal. Your wires should fit. If they are screw/plate clamps, you may have to split the strands, so they go in at both sides of the screw shaft.

seen this a fair few times with hobs do it in butyl. you can use a smaller csa
dont trim down existing cores mate,thats well rough

could i put two of each in the three live strands, and three of each in the two neutrals??

There are links between the lives, and the neutrals, although not brass, but the whole core will denitly not fit into the terminal

failing that do i connect the butyl into where the old wire is taken out from

csa?

failing that do i connect the butyl into where the old wire is taken out from

csa?

yes mate.dont 'fork' the cable into two terminals i dont like that idea,into each side of screw into one terminal is fine and usually the best way as it clamps down more securely anyway.
csa is cross sectional area ,or size.1.5,2.5 etc is a cross sectional area not the actual size.

What is the smallest size cable i can use with a 6.2 kw hob

will the hob work if i take out the links

How many cables have you got coming to the hob, & where do they come from or go to, & what size fuse or MCB supplies the hob?

Can you post up a picture of the cable or cables which are for the hob?

Will the hob work if i take out the links

No the hob will not work if you take out the links in it, as the links are needed on a single phase supply, as the hob is one which can be used on a single phase or three phase supply.

the cables are the sort that connect to an oven, live, neutral(both five/six strands) and a single wire earth.

They come out of the wall via a switch, they were connected to my old hob.

the connectors on the new hob are in a brown plastic block, three live two neutral and one earth

the existing cable comes off the household fuse box

could i put the existing cable into a junction box, then take a smaller size cable to the new hob??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back