stone walls and damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The question is, what to expect?

After the huge rains early this year, we had parts of the stone walls weeping water inside. Some of the interior walls are exposed stone and other parts are plaster.

After the rains, we decided to repoint outside and use a sealant product.

I have had a dehumidifier going for several hours a day after the rains finished, then during the recent warm weather I turned it off.

I borrowed a damp meter recently and there are still patches of 30-50% dampness. These can be exposed stone and plaster areas. The readings are not consistent across the walls.

Is this to be expected with an old rubble wall? Should I expect the walls to take quite some time to go down into the low teens readings?

What about paint on the walls, will this slow down the drying process a lot?

Sponsored Links
Stone walls take a long time to dry out, especially in Somerset. Make sure you repoint with lime and use breathable paints when it's dry.

I was also wondering if when the salts come out of plaster, they give a higher reading because salts are so hygroscopic and create a more electrical conductive substance.
There are a couple of areas, around an internal chimney stack that was leaded and rendered on the the outside this year, where the plaster is very soft and it gives a 50% reading. Since we haven't had that much rain since the stack was waterproofed, it seems odd.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back