Stone window sills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have stone window sills and need to.sort them out properly. Here's what we have....

Here's the too of the window and you can see some damage from a falling tile..

First. What's the best way to repair the damage to the sills and the broken bit above the window? Second, what shall we do to repaint them in a way that will last?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Toupret or Bonda 2 part works well.

Bonda is my personal favourite for minor repairs, seam filling and dinks caused by careless window cleaners. It's very similar to plastic padding and sets in an hour.

Toupret is a water add cement based filler, it sets soft and allows sanding, shaping and reworking for about 36 hours. Then it fully cures to a hard finish.

Unfortunately the paint I'd suggest comes in 5 litre tins (duplex weather shield all seasons oil base). Since you don't need anything more than a litre I suggest any trade quality external gloss and uc system.

Bonda is my personal favourite for minor repairs, seam filling and dinks caused by careless window cleaners. It's very similar to plastic padding and sets in an hour.

Toupret is a water add cement based filler, it sets soft and allows sanding, shaping and reworking for about 36 hours. Then it fully cures to a hard finish.

Unfortunately the paint I'd suggest comes in 5 litre tins (duplex weather shield all seasons oil base). Since you don't need anything more than a litre I suggest any trade quality external gloss and uc system.

Cheers. Will have a look. I am getting someone to do the sills for me as I am not great on a ladder. But will pass this info on as a suggestion.

The Dulux All Seasons Weathershield is good stuff, Pliolite based, bit like oil based paint but is rain proof in 15 minutes and has a mild sheen to it after a few coats, but as mentioned only comes in 5 litre tins.

Sponsored Links

Is this the bonds stuff? http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/b/BONDF/

How quickly can it be painted over and will it blend in to the stone? Can it be used ok in the large chunk missing from the top of the window in the picture?

It is the item I suggested.

Anything under 20mm thick will be rock hard in 2 hours, over that size it needs half a day or so.

Once set you sand back and or shape it then undercoat and top coats. After sanding it's a light to mid grey finish and is easily obscured via uc and top coats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back