Stop and Search powers to be made permanent

Some police have even been known to remove their collar numbers.

Why, if you were a law-abiding police officer, would you turn off your camera or remove your numbers?

I'm gobsmacked that Alex Belfield's video didn't attract more attention. His experience shows just how common this is & his future legal action will show just how difficult it will be to hold them to account & get 'justice'.

Your Police are the biggest & hardest 'gang' out there.

Sponsored Links
It scares me. A mate caught his 14yr old going out to "hang with his posse" carrying a knife.

He's a good parent & he's a good lad, but these days they daren't go out unless they're tooled up.
That is scary.

not a great time to be a parent.

it was better in the old days

but hey the right wing love it
I bet this mans son would have loved it as well as all those that died in the Manchester arena bombing but hey, let’s not stop and search a Muslim lad struggling with a massive backpack that appears to be filled with bricks walking among concert goers lest we offend him by asking him what he's doing there eh?

Sponsored Links
I bet this mans son would have loved it as well as all those that died in the Manchester arena bombing but hey, let’s not stop and search a Muslim lad struggling with a massive backpack that appears to be filled with bricks walking among concert goers lest we offend him by asking him what he's doing there eh?

what makes you think they would’ve been stopped and searched had the police been more free to do so?

That is scary.

not a great time to be a parent.

it was better in the old days

nah, I remember having a "Rambo" knife hidden in my hifi that my parents didn't know about. Plus we used to convert blank firing handguns by drilling them out and glue gunning ball bearings on to the blank. We often used to search the clay shoots for misfires and dropped rounds and drop rocks on them. I'm lucky to still have all my limbs.

What we didn't have is machete fights on the street.

Its a fact of life that Police leaders look to exploit their powers to hit their targets. Every well meaning law has been exploited by lazy policing. However, Sec 60 zones are really nothing new and a police office can very easily create grounds by catching a whiff of drugs etc. These powers are nothing to get excited about and might help reduce crime in high risk areas.

I said credible source. Eg a Researcher/Academic, expert in their field, who understands the problem domain and has produced a peer reviewed paper on the subject as opposed to a journalist writing to get a frothy response from their gullible readers.

Oh and shock horror Police force which uses Stop & Search says it's a good thing. Who'd a thunk it.

nah, I remember having a "Rambo" knife hidden in my hifi that my parents didn't know about. Plus we used to convert blank firing handguns by drilling them out and glue gunning ball bearings on to the blank. We often used to search the clay shoots for misfires and dropped rounds and drop rocks on them. I'm lucky to still have all my limbs.

What we didn't have is machete fights on the street.

Its a fact of life that Police leaders look to exploit their powers to hit their targets. Every well meaning law has been exploited by lazy policing. However, Sec 60 zones are really nothing new and a police office can very easily create grounds by catching a whiff of drugs etc. These powers are nothing to get excited about and might help reduce crime in high risk areas.

oh I don’t think violence was less, I just believe the old days were an easier time to raise children.

The problem with policing is the same as education and healthcare….as soon as it becomes target driven, the target is the focus not the quality of service.

What would give YOU reasonable grounds to search people for those items if not experience and instinct?
Im not a trained police officer.

Those that are - does their training teach them that dark skin colour is reasonable grounds?

One would have thought, that you should appreciate the fact that stop and search, helps reduce crime.

To complain as an innocent person being stopped, is pathetic and pointless, help the police, don't obstruct.

Which report has referenced this as the data out there is very sketchy. Where have you drawn this conclusion from?

https://fullfact.org/crime/does-stop-search-work/

Data suggests that stop and search is not particularly effective at reducing crime by deterring potential criminals.

The evidence is scanter on stop and search’s effectiveness as an investigatory power, but what evidence there is suggests a stronger case that stop and search works in this regard (for example police using the powers to search someone and subsequently making an arrest or giving out a warning or penalty notice).

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...emn-boris-johnsons-plan-as-weird-and-gimmicky

Police chiefs have condemned Boris Johnson’s high-profile strategy to tackle crime as “weird and gimmicky”, while plans to increase stop-and-search were criticised for ignoring the evidence.

The crime initiative was supposed to show the Johnson government gripping the agenda. But senior police officers, the rank and file, opposition politicians and even some in business rebuked it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/57987932

And nationally there is no clear correlation between the number of searches and the number of offences. From 2010, fewer people were stopped and searched and there was also a fall in knife crime. Then, around 2014, knife crime started to rise again while the number of stops continued falling.

But, when the use of stop and search fell, the proportion of stops resulting in an arrest did rise. In other words, when the police could search more people indiscriminately, they stopped many more people who weren't committing a crime.

This is the crucial point. By making stop and search more random than targeted you end up wasting more of your time stopping innocent people. The data backs this up.

Stop and Search should be used and be targeted as it is the best way to use limited resources than spreading the net widely.

I said credible source. Eg a Researcher/Academic, expert in their field, who understands the problem domain and has produced a peer reviewed paper on the subject as opposed to a journalist writing to get a frothy response from their gullible readers.

Oh and shock horror Police force which uses Stop & Search says it's a good thing. Who'd a thunk it.

Express Daily Mail is credible to him. :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Back