Stop cock 22 x 15mm or use a reducer instead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a stop cock that is leaking at the gland nut (where the tap is turned off/on). The main water pipe is lead.

I will just replace it with a new one but should i just get a 22x15mm stop cock or get a 22m version and then reduce to 15mm. Is there any point in using 22mm all the way to the bathroom about 2.5 meters directly vertical to the bathroom? the lead pipe inside diameter is probably 15mm anyway?

https://www.bes.co.uk/brass-stop-cock-22-x-15mm-23524/

I asked for a quote from Thames sometime back and they said 3.5k or something which is too much! Not sure how they would charge that as the main stop cock just outside in the front garden is blue pipe to that. anyway i'll stick to the lead.

Ignore the other connections you see, needed to hook up the garden hose temporarily and just used what i had available. Cheers.

PHOTO-2020-06-22-14-03-39.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it is 22mm x 22mm currently I'd replace it with a similar one.

looking at your pictures, the copper pipes into the stopcock are 22mm, so why use anything else?

One day no doubt you will replace the lead with 25mm blue plastic, either because it leaks, or under a lead replacement scheme.

Ask your water co to test the drinking water for lead content. The test will be free. They might offer a replacement subsidy or free reconnection.

Having known an old plumber who developed lead-related early-onset Alzheimers before he reached retirement age (probably from soldering) which progressed very fast, I avoid lead myself.

Stick to a 22 x 22 stop cock as you have - gives better flow - every little helps ! You could replace the lead with plastic blue pipe yourself if the outside stop cock is within your land. Or get a quote from a private plumber.

Sponsored Links
Hello all,

I'll get a 22mm stopcock then... for some reason I have 15mm stuck in my mind! Glad you've corrected the situation :)

I don't have the time now to get a blue pipe installed and the project is already behind, that will have to wait for the future. At that point we'll likely consider a kitchen extension so it can be done then.

Cheers again guys!

Regards,
Sparky

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back