Stop cock replacement

No reason not to use a 1/4 turn full bore lever valve, just ensure it's WRAS approved and fits the incoming main, it would normally carry the BS (EN) classification to be WRAS approved.

Sponsored Links
I've noticed the plastic stopcocks on larger sizes of blue pipe are a different shape. Are they a quarter-turn valve?

It's often easier to just change the headgear on the stopcock....I've changed plenty going back 50 years and it seems to be one of the few things that remain standard. A blowlamp is sometimes needed to soften the washer...they can be pretty tight.

It's often easier to just change the headgear on the stopcock....I've changed plenty going back 50 years and it seems to be one of the few things that remain standard. A blowlamp is sometimes needed to soften the washer...they can be pretty tight.

Hadn't considered that - thanks for the idea. It would certainly make the job easier if it works.

No reason not to use a 1/4 turn full bore lever valve, just ensure it's WRAS approved and fits the incoming main, it would normally carry the BS (EN) classification to be WRAS approved.

...but if I do end up replacing it, made my mind up I'm going for a quarter turn.

Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Go for a lever. I do.
Homeowners are very appreciative and I don't have to rush out to them at all hours to unseize a basturd stop cock.

And, by the way, I think all "cock replacements should be stopped!" :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back