stop cocks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
A stop tap must be used as the cold main enters the premises after that you can basically use what you want

I am not a plumber but I understand your main stop cock is supposed to be one of these
p4778331_l.jpg

I understand they still work to securely cut off the water even if the jumper or washer comes loose

also, the rotating-ball type valves (unless full bore) obstruct the water flow to some extent which is tiresome if it is the whole house supply, because the hole in the ball is a lot smaller than the pipe.

Cheers all,john i didnt realise about the bore size been restricted on some of these ball type valves, what is the reason for this?

I suppose it is just the way they are made, to get a 15mm hole through a ball, the ball would have to be quite a bit bigger, and the housing it fits into bigger still.

they are especially a nuisance on bath or shower pipes where you need a good flow. A gate valve does not obstruct, and allows you to control flow if you need to, but it does not shut off as tightly as a stopcock, but is OK for servicing and changing tap washers where a slight drip does not matter while you are working.

Here's a little quiz for you.

What is the difference between a cock and a tap?

No, don't laugh it's a proper question!

does a tap have a water outlet with no facility to attach something to it? for example a stop cock has a pipe going in and a pipe going out, and a bibcock has a thread to attach a hose to the outlet, but a bath tap has a pipe going in and the water just gushes out the other side?

Here we go!

I thought you lot would like this one.

A cock takes 1/4 of a turn to turn it off or on.

A tap takes full turns between on and off.

You can have a gas cock but never a stop cock!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back