Stop tap and equal tee fitting help if pos ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking to get a bit of advice on what to do with this stop tap and hose area. I'm looking at replacing the stop tap as it needs a washer change as it doesn't completely shut off when i need it to. So i will get a 25mm to 15mm type. Also looking at installing a loo directly under this as well, so i'm thinking an equal tee is needed. I would like to get rid of the flexy hose? Guessing it's there as there is zero movement at each end to get rigid pipes in? So what are my options?

20240324_170120.jpg

Sponsored Links
Remove it and use copper pipes ,soldered fittings. If there is insufficient play between the ends use a slip coupling.

Thanks, Terry, now i know what the coupling is called i can get it ordered.
I have only really done compression stuff with olives, so apart from a torch i don't have any flux or solder (I have lots of electrical solder though)
What would you recommend i purchase? I will be starting on a bathroom soon, so i'm sure it will all get more use, so don't mind buying stuff for future work.
(y)

If you have a blow torch all you need is flux,a brush to apply it ,and some lead free solder to solder fittings to copper, assuming you have wire wool or fine abrasive to clean the copper bright and shiny ? Do you have a pipe slice to cut copper tube ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Terry, now i know what the coupling is called i can get it ordered.
I have only really done compression stuff with olives, so apart from a torch i don't have any flux or solder (I have lots of electrical solder though)
What would you recommend i purchase? I will be starting on a bathroom soon, so i'm sure it will all get more use, so don't mind buying stuff for future work.
(y)
as a novice I bought some unbranded solder but it dried sort of crusty and not shiny

I ended up buying fry powerflow and flux and got a nice shiny joint

If you have a blow torch all you need is flux,a brush to apply it ,and some lead free solder to solder fittings to copper, assuming you have wire wool or fine abrasive to clean the copper bright and shiny ? Do you have a pipe slice to cut copper tube ?
Yes, plenty of wool and fine paper to get stuff clean. No pipe slice though, so might have to use a fine metal blade on a multi-tool?
Not sure i would get a pipe slice on due to it being so close to the tanking membrane?

as a novice I bought some unbranded solder but it dried sort of crusty and not shiny

I ended up buying fry powerflow and flux and got a nice shiny joint

Thanks Notch7, deffo worth spending a bit more to get a nice job ;)

Thanks Notch7, deffo worth spending a bit more to get a nice job ;)
I was nervous of doing soldered joints, but after a few goes, Ive got used to it and have run new 22mm copper in soldered from cold and hot water tank to bathroom -20+ joints and all fine.

have the torch not too hot, keep in mind that the solder travels towards the heat, so have the flame on the fitting not the pipe and ideally the other side to where you put the solder.

the trick is to get the timing right, you must feed in the in the solder after the flux has boiled but before its burnt away -once the flux boils start stroking the solder over the joint until it starts to flow -if want a guide how much, bend the end of the flux.

I used a small mirror on a stick after to check the side of the joint against the wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back