Outside tap - crazy idea!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please forgive me - I have no expertise with plumbing at all. I want to install an outside tap for watering the garden, etc. I have seen tap kits which include a "self-cutter valve", and normally I would use one of those however (without going into great detail about my plumbing) the closest cold water pipe is hidden/boxed in so I can't do this practically. My crazy idea is to get a push-fit equal tee connector, cut my washing machine fill hose mid way along and rejoin it with the tee connector. Then I would attach the hose from an outside tap kit onto the tee connector, feed it outside, hook up the tap and Bob's your uncle! This is a naive and amateur way to do it :oops: , but can you think of any reason it wouldn't work?? FYI the link below shows the type of tee connector I'm referring to. Many thanks

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50422...m_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-SPEEDFIT EQUAL TEE-_-50422

Sponsored Links
I can think of many reasons it wont work.
First yourwashing machine fill pipe wont make a seal in the t you are suggesting.
You don't really need many more reasons than that....
:evil:

The self cutting valves only cut a very small hole so you will have reduced flow of water. :(

do the self cutting valves meet the water regulations?

the ones i have seen don't include a double check valve.

so i'm afraid you'll have to get a plumber to get it done right if you have little experiance/expertise in plumbing.

if you do fancy diy-ing then you will need a stop tap, double check valve inside your house, and a bib tap to go outside.

Sponsored Links
i have seen it with washing macines where people have used the self cutting taps where the bit that was cut has almost sealed the hole again with the water pressure.

Split the wall?! I think not.

sfjnet - you can do this with the support of the forum, and you can do it properly to boot.

Split the job into three parts:

1. Drill the wall and mount the tap.
2. Tee into the supply and fit a valve.
3. Connect the tap to the valve.

This way you don't need to tackle the job in a single session, or even a single day, and you can take a breather and come back here for more information and help.

Each phase needs its own skills and knowledge. For example, when you drill the wall, go from the outside to avoid the pitfall of exploding off a patch section of brickwork.

Whatever you do, steer clear of the self-cutting kits. They're just pants.

See also these web pages which set out what you need to do:
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/fitting_a_outside_tap.htm
http://www.plumbingpages.com/featurepages/heltap.cfm

Completely agree with Softus. This is what the forum is here for. As he says, break the job down into manageable parts and come here for advice for each part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back