Stop worrying so much about brexit johnd and listen to this guy

Sponsored Links
But right now, the evidence points to us being worse off.

But what evidence. We had so many doom mongering stories prior to the referendum, and most have been disproved, and virtually all recanted. Yes, inflation has risen, but becuase the pound was overvalued, it was always going to at some point whether Brxit fears caused the pound to drop, or the government was eventually forced to.

Trump is trying to get Americans to buy home produced goods, and this is an alternative trade barrier that's a bit more legal, but only iime will tell if it works. The LSE report is a typical remoaner article, so needs taking with a pinch of salt, but Momfords comments may not all come true either.

What everyone seems fails to understand, is that the future isn't set in stone, and just need handling as events unfold. The EU will try and set up trade barriers, and we'll be forced to find new markets, and if the Chinese flood the UK with cheap imports (hopefully) we'll start producing goods that sell at a premium price. The Uk has stood the test of time, and will continue to do so, but any half backed economist will tell you (albeit reluctantly) that because the EU countries can't devalue the Euro, they can onlyfollow Greece in it's downward spiral. The stupid thing about global economics, is that nobody knows what they are doing, and they all just react to changing situations, so trying to say we will be worse off in 15 years is a completely impossible prediction to make.

more manufacturing could disappear due to lower prices
from competition with China and the F. East.

The biggest risk to jobs is technology and not location of production.

Whatever trade agreements are made, outsourcing to cut costs will always occur, but the forecast for a massive change in automation of jobs (and associated social and economic issues) is not good for many people.

What this could mean, is that the cost of production by machine could be similar in Sunderland to what it would be in Shenzhen, and this could have no real benefits in terms of job creation or sustainment.

It is often a race to the bottom in an attempt to cut costs, but these companies eventually go to the wall.

Interestingly enough for the building trade, the new bricklaying robot is supposed to increase jobs as well as productivity, so there may be hope for us yet.

Robotics will replace about 30% of jobs in the years to come, so what happens to all those displaced workers; and this comes brings us back to the problems we currently have of trying to control immigration, but then extends to how we support all of those no longer having jobs due to "progress".

Sponsored Links
Who makes the robots? Chinese robots?

It's strange isn't it? The Tomorrow's World (when I was young) prophesies of a life of leisure brought about by robots and technology when everyone may job share and work half a week each seems to have back-fired.

Aren't there more jobs now, even in Britain, than ever before?

Robot factories, programmers, maintenance

Good point Noseall, and yes, it's been touted for ages, and jobs have been reallocated elsewhere, and at times; the back office has got even bigger, but I have a nasty feeling for the future. They'll never replace the manual trades like plumbers etc, but when they can build a brick laying machine, there's a bit of a seismic shift going on. I think the underclass that can't retrain (or even train in the first place) are going to be the ones to suffer.

Aren't there more jobs now, even in Britain, than ever before?
Plus all the people working in the black economy. But that still doesn't mean that things aren't about to change. The real question, is it going to be in our favour, or another countries, and with the bunch of politicians we currently have, I hold little hope.

The real question, is it going to be in our favour, or another countries, and with the bunch of politicians we currently have, I hold little hope.
That was my point.

Even with all the present technology, robots and out-sourcing (not to mention the promised life of leisure) there are still more jobs in Britain than ever.

If all the manufacturing had not been sent to the far east, how would we manage?

The wage for the majority of the average workers will get lower and lower.
More and more people in work are finding themselves on minimum wage, a trend I reckon will continue.

Sponsored Links
Back