Stopping draught around wooden front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Appreciate it’s not really the season to notice major draughts, but looking to get things sorted before it turns.

We’ve got a solid wooden external front door on our porch. The door leading from the porch to the house is UPVC and is fine, so the house doesn’t really get battered but in the winter the porch becomes ice cold and like a wind tunnel. I’m after some kind of draught excluder that can be attached all around the door. I tried the foam stuff that comes on a roll and you stick it on the frame, but as it’s a wooden door there are areas where it’s too padded and then the door sticks and other parts where the rubber doesn’t fill the gap.

I’ve seen plastic stormguard style ones but they seem to need to be attached on the outside and where the door is slightly recessed in the frame to form the seal. I don’t want to put it on the outside really as it will be obvious on the green door and May look terrible.

Problem is…the wooden door on the inside sits flush to the frame and the gap in parts is 5/6mm between the door and the frame. Ideally I want something I can attach to the door and when it closes it overlaps the gap and touches the frame. But I can’t find anything that seems to do that. I’ve attached a picture of the inside of the door to show you what I mean.

Can anyone assist or point me towards something that will work a treat?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• B1FD0356-D48F-490F-921B-A1AEEC2C1E00.jpeg
    B1FD0356-D48F-490F-921B-A1AEEC2C1E00.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 119
Sponsored Links
What’s the frame like on the outside - is it moulded or just square?

I’ve found planting on beads on sides and head works well - beads with a weatherstrip in them.

I used to make them as required but you could buy something like this, which would need painting to match the frame

https://www.reddiseals.com/product/staff-bead/

you would need the weatherseal too - they sell small rolls.

for the bottom of the door, the best way is a threshold like an exitex seal - it requires a bit cut off the door.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back