storage heater wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,
There are 4 storage heaters on the shop. each heater is fed individual circuit and controlled by 20A individual mcb and wired to 20 amp switch. sometimes customer's kids switch heater off and we dont reliase this. what i want to do is i want wire it with 13 amp unswitched fcu instead of 20 amp switch. is it ok to do it like that?

the heater is 2.55kw which takes 11amp i think 13amp fcu is ok to do that

thanks..

Sponsored Links
Storage heaters should not be connected to FCUs, it usually states this in the instructions.
An unswitched FCU is not suitable as a means of isolation either.

The easy solution is to get some of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babysecurity-Single-Socket-Cover/dp/B000X1DNIM

Other options include moving the switches out of reach or changing them to 20A key operated switches. As this is a shop, neither of those are really DIY.
You should also consider that if children can reach these switches, they can probably reach the hot heaters as well, which has the possibility of causing injury.

it is already controlled by 20 amp mcb what i will do is i will put there square junction box remove the switch and will be controlled directly from mcb if anything causes mcb will blow.

If you remove the switches, there will be no way to isolate the heaters when they require cleaning or repair.

Sponsored Links
Don't fit a junction box.

If you must fit a 20a connection plate. That will fit straight on the back box and look tidy.

But if an element fails causing the rcd to go it will prevent All heaters working.

Damn kids! I've seen this problem before, the solution was to replace the DP switches with MK 20A double pole key switches.

How do you get over the flex outlet issue with a key switch though? Do they make a flex outlet module as well?

They were surface so stuffing glands were fitted to the bottom of the boxes. Don't know what the OPs setup is though.

Why do I get the feeling blade.3428 isn't going take the slightest bit of notice of our advice...?

sorry sparkwright i did not have time to be online on the website as i have been away. problem is sorted now what i did is i fitted with 20a connection box as andyPRK mentioned

thanks for your help guys...

Don't fit a junction box.

If you must fit a 20a connection plate. That will fit straight on the back box and look tidy.

But if an element fails causing the rcd to go it will prevent All heaters working.

You did as above??

The switch was for Double pole isolation and shouldnt be removed, more so in a shop
you would have been better getting a competently fitted Double pole keyswitch module and a flex outlet module on a two gang gridplate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back