Storage Heaters - Hope someone can help, I'm cold!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into a new flat in the summer which has storage heaters, we hadn't needed to use them until this cold snap at the moment.

We were not given any instructions by the agent and I've never used them so wanted to get some advice to avoid massive bills.

Firstly we are on an economy 7 tariff and looking at our meter there seems to be a radio switch, do I assume that changes to low from midnight to 7am?

The storage heaters we have seem very old. Looking online it always mentions an input and output control. The ones we have seem to have two controls, one just has 3 settings (0,1,2) and the other a gradual dial with - at one end and + at the other.

Each one has a on/off switch at the wall (that I haven't dared turn on yet!).

I know the basic principle of storage heaters, heat up over night when cheap and release during the day/evening. What I don't understand is how do I ensure that the heater is charging when it is cheap? Do I only turn it on when we go to bed and off when we get up?

Looking forward to receiving some advice.

Cheers

Chilly Dino

Sponsored Links
you've probs posted in the wrong section but I'll tell you anyway :)

Turn them on and leave them on, the teleswitch on the meter will do the rest

use the input dial the vary the charge going in (you'll have to get a feel for this, it will depend on how much you use the output) use the output to let the heat out/keep it in as you feel fit
If you know your not going to be needing one\them then turn it\them off at the wall switch

Matt

Better off in Electrics forum.

Don't be tempted to rip the heaters out!

1. they are very expensive and 2. the old ones contain asbestos ;)

Thanks for your advice, apologies for posting in the wrong section :oops:

Hopefully once I get warm I'll be able to post in the right place!

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back