Storage heaters not working

If the offpeak reading doesn't change, that just means the heaters were not on.
Could be a faulty meter, or just as likely blown fuses, the heaters were switched off, the heaters are broken, the consumer unit for the heaters is switched off, the timer is set to the wrong time, and so on.

I see your point, I hadn't thought of any of that.

On that setup ALL electricity will record on the night time rate not just the heaters.

Your night rate should advance even if your heaters are off.

If it doesn't it will be a timer issue and you'll need to contact your supplier.

My money is on a broken time clock as I don't know what time you took the pictures, but your time clock is saying 23:30 and looks like it hasn't the strength to get past the ON tag.

Sponsored Links
On that setup ALL electricity will record on the night time rate not just the heaters.

Your night rate should advance even if your heaters are off.

If it doesn't it will be a timer issue and you'll need to contact your supplier.

My money is on a broken time clock as I don't know what time you took the pictures, but your time clock is saying 23:30 and looks like it hasn't the strength to get past the ON tag.

But he also has a switching load from the time clock, so even though his night time rate will advance, the night storage heater may still not work if the time clock is duff.

The meter is programed to swap over recording to R2 at a pre determined time acording to the customers SSC and that is controled by the black wire coming from the meter to the time clock which is the switching Neautral.

If You are confident in doing it, ensure that the power is turned off to the entire building, unwire the night storage heater and wire in a table lamp. Put it all back together and turn on. At the time that the night storage heaters are supposed to come on, watch the lamp. If it does not come on, check the fuse and if it is good, your time clock is faulty. Contact the company you pay your electric bill to and tell them you have a faulty time clock.

DO NOT LEAVE THE LAMP SWITCHED ON AND UNWIRE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

Hi all, just wanted to let you know that the problem has been resolved. I contacted Southern Electric and they sent an elecrician / engineer out the same day. He tested the electrics and found that one of the wires (connected to the offpeak devices) was not receiving any electric. His solution was to replace the old electricity meter and time switch (from 1983) with one new combined meter. I woke up this morning to find that my storage heaters had charged overnight and were now releasing heat and my water had heated overnight too :D Very happy bunny now!

And to top it all off.... it was free of charge!

Thanks for all your advice everyone.

Sponsored Links
If it was the time clock which was faulty this would mean you had been stuck on the higher rate 24/7 and non of your electricity would have been charged at the cheaper rate (usually quiet a lot cheaper).

I'd be having words with my supplier to see how they would like to compensate me for their equipment failure. ;)

From the looks of my last bill, I had been charged more energy on the night rate so think I may have been lucky. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back