storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was asked to organise the installation of new storage heaters. it's a simple job of replacing like-for-like. however, my spark does not know how he is supposed to test the heaters once they're installed as they run on economy7 electricity.... does that mean he has to come round to carry out a test after economy7 has kicked in? i.e. around midnight...!

unfortunately there is not a lot of info about storage heaters. what does one have to look out for when installing, testing, etc. can someone enlighten me?

thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
The only live tests are loop impedace, which can be calcultated from the Ze + (R1 + R2), and then RCD - And unless you have a TT earthing arrangement, there will be no RCD. Polarity will be proved when you measure the R1 + R2.

Simple ;)

Though surely the Ze could be different on the storage heater supply, particularlly if it is on a different phase.

Ask DNO for an isolator and and connect the off peak tails to the 24hr side just for testing?

Sponsored Links
thanks for the tips, any other info on storage heater installation?

much appreciated

Though surely the Ze could be different on the storage heater supply, particularlly if it is on a different phase.

This is the prefered method. You could also take the Ze as the max declarable - 0.35 or 0.8 for TN-C-S and TN-S respectively.

thanks for the tips, any other info on storage heater installation?

much appreciated

Yeah... watch your back! and the carpet. the brick dust has an annoying habbit of going everywhere! Don't forget to cut out and carpet and gripper rod that the legs might sit on as this will make the thing unbalanced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back