storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tested two of these, which were reported as not operating, across live and neutral = 6Kohms on one and around 60kohms on the other. Both ok to earth. I assume there is a thermostat, but if this was switched it would read Meg ohms I reckon. I would also think there may be a rheostat, but would not think that it would come into play unless they were warm. Turning the input and output dials made no difference to the readings. A healthy heater reads 33ohm across L+N, so I assume they are faulty. Does anyone have any experience with these? Does it sound as if they are definitely faulty? and can the be repaired cost effectively?
Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Most rads have a thermo cut out in the top behind the thermostat. Looks the size of a 1p, and has 2 cabes only. press it.

Some older rads have a fusible link which melts on over temp, take the cover off and you may see a blob of what looks like solder where the link used to be, also check continuity of individual elements. On some rads there is a second thermostat which "senses" room temp, usually mounted on the side. Make sure you have isolated the rad before removing any covers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back