Stove

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi

I have installed a multi fuel stove few months ago but did not want to have spots wired as was afraid of the heat causing trouble.

Has anyone done anything different to light up the stove insert area?

I was thinking of battery push LEDs behind stove when not lit!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What are you trying to achieve? - those surface stickon led things are handy for a bit of light in a cupboard but they don't look pretty and the light output is low and very wide beam.
EDIT And they'll probably melt, if they don't actually melt the batteries will boil up and discharge very quickly

What are you trying to achieve? - those surface stickon led things are handy for a bit of light in a cupboard but they don't look pretty and the light output is low and very wide beam.
EDIT And they'll probably melt, if they don't actually melt the batteries will boil up and discharge very quickly

And they will not run for long on batteries, and the batteries will not survive heat long.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all comments.

I know they will melt and batteries could explode was just looking a bit of light in around chimney opening when stove not lit.

But as I say thanks for advice.

Depending on your stove design it might be cool enough at ground level at the back for a couple of spots. You'd probably have to go for tungsten rather than led (filament lamps run at high temperatures anyway, leds have to shed heat as much as possible). 12v dichroic types would probably work ok with silicon (or other high temperature) cabling

I have installed a multi fuel stove few months ago but did not want to have spots wired as was afraid of the heat causing trouble.

Has anyone done anything different to light up the stove insert area?

A Photo showing the "multi fuel stove", its location and the proposed location of the "spots" may help others to understand your "problem"

I wouldn't do it. Stoves and the area around them attract ash, dust and soot (through normal operation of the stove). The black also fades through heat and obvious requires re-blackening each year.

LED lights will highlight every speck of dust and dirt in my opinion.

I wouldn't do it. Stoves and the area around them attract ash, dust and soot (through normal operation of the stove). The black also fades through heat and obvious requires re-blackening each year.

LED lights will highlight every speck of dust and dirt in my opinion.

Never thought of that so decided not to do it.

Thanks for all replies.

Hate to poop an idea! But having ran one for a good few years now (daily in the cold months), it's amazing how much ash, soot, dust, cobwebs they attract. A light will definitely show it all up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back