woodburning stove too close to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved to Devon, where I am living in a timber-framed chalet. There is a Morso Squirrel multi-fuel stove in the middle of the building. It has a boiler which is connected to the water tank. However I have not yet lit the stove because of 3 problems. 1. The top is cracked but I now have a new top and someone to fit it for me. 2. There is no hearth and the stove is on a laminate floor with wood underneath, but underneath that is concrete, so I am going to have the flooring cut away and a slab of slate fitted. 3. The stove is only 6cms from an internal stud wall. The surface of the plasterboard has already been damaged by heat. I don't want to move the stove because the flue goes straight up through the roof, because of the plumbing to the water heater, and because the space is small. I have read the regulations that there should be 75cm thick non-combustible material behind the stove, and also had varying advice - e.g. have a sheet of metal fixed on the wall with an air gap, or not to worry about it because the previous owner used it as it is. I am going round in circles thinking about this. Any ideas or advice?
I'm also concerned about the insurance situation.

Sponsored Links
The insurance is a particularly important consideration!

I suggest you write to the manufacturers asking for their recommendations. If you have their written reply and do that then you can wave it at your insurers ( as long as you keep the letter at your workplace ) if the chalet gets burnt down.

They will probably just repeat their own instructions! They are obviously put together to ensure the safety of the appliance.

Whatever you do it should not infringe insurance requirements!

I do have to say that whilst the buyer should beware, it seems fraudulent if the seller knew about this and did not disclose the problem to you. You could consider taking legal advice on your position.

Tony

To be safe you need to cut the stud out and construct a proper fire wall.

Thanks for your replies.

What would you use for the firewall?

I did mention this to my solicitor but he said it was too late after I had bought the house. I think the surveyor should have noticed it though.

Sponsored Links
Concrete block or bricks.

There's a load of different fire boarding on the market if you do a google.

Thanks for your replies.

I did mention this to my solicitor but he said it was too late after I had bought the house. I think the surveyor should have noticed it though.

Perhaps he was saying that to put you off as he could be criticised or sued for not advising you more fully and perhaps suggesting you had the stove checked for safety.

They are very risky in a wooden house!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back