Strange Accenta Mini-8 alarm problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I've got a very frustrating problem with our old Mini-8 alarm set up and wondered if anyone out there can help with suggestions.

The system came with the house and consists of a PIR wired to one zone, and ITEC Window sensors and a door contact wired serially to another zone. The tamper circuit is not used.

The system is old but was working reliably until we had windows changed. I removed the sensors prior to changing the windows and when I've come to re-wire them, the system won't arm and instead blinks and sounds the fault condition for the wired zone.

I tested each of the sensors out of circuit on my multimeter and they all are closed as I expect they should be. I'm not sure how these sensors work but I imagine a physical shock causes them to go briefly open circuit. Screwing them back in circuit brings the fault back.

I've tried twisting all the wires together around the house to close the loop and introduce a sensor one at a time, but the results are erratic. For instance, install sensor 1 - can arm OK. Install sensor 2, get a fault condition. Remove sensor 2 and the fault condition is still there until I remove sensor 1.

The alarm does accept the 9999 enginner code, but a reset doesn't make the fault go away.

Am I missing something obvious about the sensors? I'm starting to wish I never unscrewed the things!

thanks for any tips!

Sponsored Links
the itec shock sensors, have a round section that goes through the case with itec on them, yes ? if so is the itec part the correct way round ?

Hi there,

it's possible I'm not positioning them correctly. The sensor is brown in colour, fits inside a housing that screws into the frame and has an internal unit with two wires connected to a terminal block. They are rounded on the face and have ITEC printed on them. I have tried mounting them so that the label is vertical, e.g.

I
T
E
C

Is there a particular orientation I should be aware of? I'll try testing them in situ as well so are no the circuit is properly close before oeprating the alarm.

thanks

from memory i think they have to be horizontal I T E C. ( the internal part) it can be rotated, these are the same as aritech but i cant remember the model number.

Sponsored Links
found the install instructions for the itec shock sensors if you need them and they do need to be horizontal with the itec the correct way round.

Hi there,

thanks very much for the feedback. You're absolutely right. The ITEC label needs to be horizontal with respect to the frame. It's also helpful to check the sensor is closed circuit with a meter before you refit the case. They seem to sometimes 'stick open' and a gentle tap solves the problem.
All working now.

thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back