Strange brickwork above windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I want to replace the old windows in my 1930's with double glazed units. I would expect there to be a lintel above them, but all I can see from the outside, is a row of bricks laid as soldiers above which is a row of tiles laid into the mortor joint. My guess is that the tiles are there to provide a drip feature. The soldier course does not appear to site neatly along a mortor course, although the tiles above them obviously do. I can't believe that the soldier course is sitting onto the old wooden frame, but that's what they appear to do.

Can anyone advise as I don't wish to remove the old frame only to find a row of bricks coming away as well..

Thanks in anticipation.

paul

Sponsored Links
If you look very carefully you should see a metal flat bar which is a lintel that the brickwork is resting on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back