Strange Connectors for a Light Fitting - No Screws!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Till this time i've always found answers to any questions i've had from existing posts, but this one has eluded me, hence this post.

Purchased a couple of flush light fittings from toolstation which arrived today, manufactured by massive.

The instructions are useless as always, but the where i am to connect my wiring to the light fitting, i'm used to screwing them in, but there isn't this option on this fitting.

Can anyone confirm it's just a push-fit connection, or do i have to buy a special connector or something?

I've attached links to photo's for ease.

Many Thanks in advance

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8483/topkr.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1641/sideew.jpg

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2007/bottommb.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yep push fittings, B&Q love them, personally think they are a pile of cack!!!

When you've mounted it and are absolutely happy with it all, cut the wires to length and insert them, then never go near it again!!!!

Sponsored Links
Saintscouple; seeing as it's a screw in bulb (ES), make sure you have the polarity correct when connecting. i.e. put the brown wire in the connector which links to the centre contact.

Hi YorksSpark, experience is a real teller, have used WAGO's and quite like them, thou not used then that often.

Have not used their push fittings just the sprung clips.

Most push fittings are not labelled L or N and as in the previous post this matters for ES lamps

Job done, all correct and working.
Thanks for all advice given :D

Funny that B&Q was mentioned - Love their price match policy.
Just popped down to my local for some light switches, with toolstation print out in hand and got 10% off the toolstation price, which worked out less than the half the B&Q price. No wonder their making such a profit.

Saintscouple; seeing as it's a screw in bulb (ES), make sure you have the polarity correct when connecting. i.e. put the brown wire in the connector which links to the centre contact.

Would have thought a Toolstation fitting would have a British Standard lampholder.
If so good practice but not essential

Would have thought a Toolstation fitting would have a British Standard lampholder.
If so good practice but not essential

:?: Did you even look at the pictures in the first post.

"Good practice but not essential"? Can't but arsed to hunt through the BRB but correct polarity (especially of ES lampholders) IS essential.

No, I did not look at the pics, have I missed something .

17th Reg 559.6.1.8 page 146 and has been like that in the 16th as well.

except for E14 and E27 ( Small eddison screw and eddison screw , ie regular house lamps ) complying with BS EN 60238.... which if I recall is the ceramic / plastic screw ones with a contact inside rather than a full metal screw...?
got a part number for that holder?

Just to confirm, E27 (Edison Screw) lampholders do not require the centre pin to be connected to line.

if you read the regs carefully, they do unless the holder is to BS EN 60238, so older ones with a metal screw thread or ones not to BS EN 60238 do need to be the correct polarity...... in TN and TT systems at lease.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back