Strange Fault Symptoms

I've only just seen this thread, but it seems really obvious to me that the fault is simply an open circuit neutral and there is a load connected to the circuit somewhere. I can't beleive no one else worked that out :eek:
I'm not so sure about this 'obvious'. the information we were given would be compatible with any of the explanations suggested - it just happens that you were right :)

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
I did drop a bit of a hint that the fault was not actually LE reversal.... ;)

I did drop a bit of a hint that the fault was not actually LE reversal.... ;)
Yes, I realise that, but I'm still intrigued by the fact that you claimed to know that it was not an LE reversal (and, indeed, knew what the problem actually was) on the basis of what you had told us alone (which you assured us was the case) - since, as I said, the measurements were compatible with any of the three explanations.

On reflection, I guess the fact that it was happening at more than one socket on the ring was a bit of a clue - and would have been an even stronger clue had you told us that the affected sockets were 'adjacent' on the ring!

Kind Regards, John.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I have omitted something.........................I meant to say in the first post of the thread that all sockets and terminations at the board were wired up correctly.

I'll get my coat....

Sponsored Links
A very good teaser.

I don't mind telling you that I don't know if I would ever have guessed without being there and testing further.
Had it been a radial circuit it may have made it simpler - maybe not.

However, I feel that for it to have been so obvious on the internet and knowing straight away on the 'phone may be explained by the fact that I will know next time.

One thing still puzzles me, though, and that is why the socket tester when presented with a good live, a good earth (not connected to the neutral)
but a neutral carrying 230V flagged this as a 'Live-Earth Reversal'.

One thing still puzzles me, though, and that is why the socket tester when presented with a good live, a good earth (not connected to the neutral) but a neutral carrying 230V flagged this as a 'Live-Earth Reversal'.
It's not that surprising, is it? As we discussed, the measurable L-N, L-E and N-E voltages were exactly as one would get with a L-E reversal, and I presume these testers simply look at the voltages. If it did not report that pattern of voltages as an L-E reversal, it would presumably never report an L-E reversal, even when one was present.

Kind Regards, John.

It's not that surprising, is it? As we discussed, the measurable L-N, L-E and N-E voltages were exactly as one would get with a L-E reversal, and I presume these testers simply look at the voltages. If it did not report that pattern of voltages as an L-E reversal, it would presumably never report an L-E reversal, even when one was present.
I don't know.
I presumed it must have sensors to work out which pin(s) is(are) live and diodes to work out the polarity.

It just seems strange that when the faults are: N & E not connected, L - N 0V and N live that it comes up with L - E Reversal.
After all there is no voltage at E, L - E 230V is normal but N - E also 230V and L - N 0V. It would seem N is the faulty factor. (As we all knew - but not why)

You may be right but they must be as reliable as a neon screwdriver then.
What would Mr.Public do when told L - E Reversal?

I shall wire it and test my Kewtech tomorrow.

I don't know. I presumed it must have sensors to work out which pin(s) is(are) live and diodes to work out the polarity.
If we were talking DC supplies, that would be the obvious way. Given we have AC, I presume that these gadgets have to try to may inferences about reversals simply from the PDs it can see between the three pins.

It just seems strange that when the faults are: N & E not connected, L - N 0V and N live that it comes up with L - E Reversal. After all there is no voltage at E, L - E 230V is normal but N - E also 230V and L - N 0V. It would seem N is the faulty factor. (As we all knew - but not why)
Again, I don't see it as all that strange - given that those are the very PDs one would see with an L-E reversal. Even when one uses a 2-pole tester, if all one has to look at are the three conductors at the socket, those voltages would (as we've seen!) lead one to conclude that an L-E reversal was one of the possibilities.

Of course, if one were there, the next thing one would so would be to measure the voltages relative to other 'known' parts of the installation.

You may be right but they must be as reliable as a neon screwdriver then.
As above, I think you may be being a little unkind to them. They are presumably no worse than 2-pole testing IF all one has to test are the three wires/terminals at the socket.

What would Mr.Public do when told L - E Reversal?
One hates to think. The 'obvious' thing to do would be pretty catastrophic. Hopefully many Mr. Publics would have the sense to call for help, particularly if they knew that having a bare copper L 'could not be right'!!

Kind Regards, John.

I have omitted something.........................I meant to say in the first post of the thread that all sockets and terminations at the board were wired up correctly.
I'll get my coat....

If this was the case, I fail to see how you can have an open circuit neutral on a ring final - unless, of course, your talking about two faults (as in the neutral broken in two different places).........which kind of complicates things and is a bit misleading. :)

If this was the case, I fail to see how you can have an open circuit neutral on a ring final - unless, of course, your talking about two faults (as in the neutral broken in two different places).........which kind of complicates things and is a bit misleading. :)
Indeed. He did initially describe it as a "butchered RF circuit", so maybe he also forgot to mention to us that all the affected sockets are on a spur :)

Kind Regards, John.

I have replicated the fault and got the same result on a Kewtech.

I suppose the main shortcoming of the socket tester is not what it does but the descriptions of the fault.
I.e. if this particular fault was described as L-E reversal or Live Neutral all would be well.
Obviously, we will remember.

Also, whilst doing the test I realised that rotating the conductors, either way, would not have given the stated voltages.

Also, whilst doing the test I realised that rotating the conductors, either way, would not have given the stated voltages.
Why not?

If true L is connected to E terminal
& true E is connected to N terminal
& true N is connected to L, terminal, then ...

Apparent L-E (true N-L) gives 230V
Apparent L-N (true N-E) gives 0V
Apparent N-E (true E-L) gives 230V

... which is what securespark reported. have I gone wrong?

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back