Strange Florescent Light Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've put our kitchen light fitting up , as shown in photo, and it seems to be constantly blowing tubes, i thought this could of been a bad ballast, so i replaced the fitting with a brand new identical one, and exactly the same problem ?
This is the fitting and my wiring

Also when starting the light it seems to stay like this for a while, bearing in mind i've tried 6 different starters ,

Orange is starter.

ANy ideas? Thanks
madman41

Sponsored Links
The light fitting may be new, but the tube does not look like it is.

The bit next to the plastic is black, indicating a worn-out tube.

Best to change the starter too.

Also, make sure the starter is rated for the tube.

Will get some more snaps in the morning , and that was a new tube two days ago believe it or not, and the starter is new too.

Sponsored Links
Looks older than two days, given the dust and fingerprints on it! It wasn't an old one laying about was it?
Make sure the ballast is the right size for the tube, new tube and new starter and you should be good to go.

that specific bulb is new bulb , old stock , but was not black whatsoever when we put it in , we have been through numerous bulbs, and starters, and this is the second fitting. I am baffled

maybe its a bad batch of tubes?

Go and buy a different brand one and see what happens. If they're old and temperature abused they might be no good.

Tried it :) Previous was a SYLVANIA , thats a eterna, also used a philips in previous fitting.

Are you absolutely sure your buying the right wattage tube as you can get the large ones in two wattages, 40 and 60watts. Read what it says on the ballast and make sure it's the right wattage your using, same goes for the starter too.

I'd say you've got your neutral hooked up to the earth.

it certainly doesnt look like that from the photo, the cpc is in the middle terminal which connects to the body, this doesnt rule out a swapped neutral and cpc somewhere else back down the line though

On the 4-way, left to right on the house side, there's definitely 2 reds going to way 3, and what appears to be a black going to way 2 (the CPC on the tail). It could of course just be the switch live returning and going to way 1, but at this stage unless the OP's got a serious flaw in the voltage of his domestics, or not the whole truth has been told, then one has to ask the question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back