strange lighting circuit connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed a light fitting from the ceiling in my living room and the connection seems a bit weird.

it has 2 x 1.5mm cables going to it. one of them is the switch and the other one must be the power (can't trace that one back) but shouldn't it have 3 going to it?

also, when I removed the fitting it was connected into a connector block, the live and neutral from the fitting where both connected to a neutral from each of the 1.5mm cables and the 2 lives from the 1.5mm cables weren't connected to anything, they just go into the connector block and then nowhere.

the light was working but is it safe? I don't no much at all about electrics I'm just going off how my other lights are wired up and bits and bobs found on the internet.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it's on the end of the lighting circuit so it only has one feed into it and from what you've written (as weird as it may sound to you) it was wired correctly.

The two lives are the feed & switch connected together the return from the switch (which becomes live when turned on) should be connected to the live on the light fitting. This is normally marked with a sleeve either red on old type wiring or brown on new type then the neutral on the fitting connects to the feed cables neutral to complete the circuit.

Sponsored Links
It is connected fine but sounds like the red sleeve from the switched live via the black neutral wire has gone awry somewhere along the line. Put some red insulation tape on the black wire that your light fitting live is connected to for future reference for yourself or others looking at the fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back