Strange Noise in House

M

Mealor_1

Hello,
I bought my house the start of April and have noticed a strange noise, mainly at night. It sounds like a vibration noise, almost more like it can be felt rather than heard. My phone, for example, couldn't record it. My initial thoughts were that it was a pump running.
I think it is heard more at night because there is less other noise. I have tried turning off the electric to the house, but the noise appears to remain.
If anyone has any ideas as to what it could be, I'd be grateful to hear them.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Night time? Ok.

I don't want you disclosing your specific address on this forum, but how far are you from theses guys?

I'm guessing night time heavy machinery movement. Lads on night shifts?

Company Buckleys Mobile Crane Services

Click For Website

Contact Stephen Buckley
Address Bont Newydd Mill
Fforddlas
Glan Conwy
Colwyn Bay
Wales
LL28 5TF (MAP)

Sponsored Links
I think I am far enough away that it wouldn't be them - I wish it were that simple!
I have heard it in the day before, it is just easier to do so when I am home alone.
I also doubt it would be a company, because the noise is exactly the same for hours on end. It doesn't vary, which I guess would happen if it were a company.
The house has a combi boiler feeding a hot water tank, so there is a pump which I thought would be the blame, but killing the electic didn't help so I have discounted this.
I do appreciate you taking the time to offer your suggestions though.

We can but try...

So far, I coming up with suggestions saying it's more so the case where people reside in areas with high winds? And resonance is the major cause?

This coming from one site...

"...Do you live in an area with a constant breeze? Maybe wind is causing some resonance with some opening into your house (chimney, oven/dryer vent, a window, skylight, etc). If you have a fireplace, try closing (or opening) the damper and see if that makes a difference...."

"...Colwyn Bay bypass

A 50 mph (80 km/h) limit remains in force through the Colwyn Bay bypass (Old Colwyn to Mochdre). The restriction was imposed for several reasons. First as a safety precaution because the slip-roads on this stretch are unusually short due to the road's design. Part of it was built on a narrow swathe of land through the town that was once the North Wales coast railway; Colwyn Bay had to be rebuilt and the track bed realigned to complete the underpass. The former four-track railway was reduced to two more northerly tracks to make space for the road. Second the reduced speed limit was intended to reduce road noise for residents. However since the completion of the Colwyn Bay bypass, the lower speed limit has been an unpopular decision with drivers..."

Low vibration noise travels further than high vibration noise; hence why on land movement is coming to mind.

I'd say it was a resonance coming from the flow in the nearby river...or even the truck road along with the train tracks. Not sure...

I have considered the A55 too.
The only 'issue' with that as the cause is the noise is almost perfectly constant. There is no variation with it, which I thought I would hear if it were to be causing it.
When I first heard it, I would have placed bets on it being the noise from a pump stuck on, or something similar.
Thanks for you help, I do appreciate it.

The only thing with it being turbines is that it's almost too constant for that. I have heard it very loud and clear in the past.
I spoke to the neighbours and they have never heard anything which made me think it's more local to my house.
It's annoyingly hard to explain since I cannot record it!

Do you have water header tanks in the loft?
From time to time, the ball valves can drone, causing a slight wave in the water (really!)
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back