Strange occurrence

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have two bedside lamps which are the 'touch activated' type.

Yesterday, I went into the bedroom to find both lamps turned on the lowest (of three) brightness settings. This has never happened before and, needless to say, I hadn't turned them on.

Is it possible for some change in voltage somewhere else in the house to trigger this sort of thing? They are plugged into a 13A power socket, incidentally.

Sponsored Links
This often happens if there has been power-loss, so if there had been a duration where the circuit had been de-energised, maybe a power cut your are unaware/aware of. This will happen

They are also known to be susceptible to RFI. A dodgy microwave or a fridge firing up could cause them to operate, or a sticky room thermostat operating for example.

Thanks for the advice.

I didn't notice any power loss (I was in) unless it happened for a fraction of a second. The second suggestion is possible, of course, although we have had these for a couple of years and it hasn't happened before.

What's RFI? :eek: It sounds scary!

Sponsored Links
RFI? Radio frequency interference. The way that operating a light switch will make an AM radio crackle, or a mobile phone will interfere with TV sound. Nothing to worry about from a safety point of view. :)

Ah, thank you.

So these lamps are susceptible to such things as power loss and RFI. Sounds interesting.

I do find electrickery very interesting, although I'm afraid I know nothing!

A long time ago, when I was in the RAF, I 'obtained' an old oscilloscope and experimented. I found that on one particular setting I could disrupt the guy next door's music player. I don't know how it worked, but it was fun especially when he had it on too loud!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back