Wall sockets cutting out in bedroom intermittently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Experiencing an odd problem atm. Couple of nights ago, power to the bedroom wall sockets went off without tripping the electric box and a few minutes later power returned.

We've found that anytime we plug more than 1 thing into the 4 way adapter for 2 bedside lights and a bedside alarm, the same thing happens, but power returns after about 5 minutes each time. Ceiling light is fine, as is the rest of the home.

Tried the appliances in other sockets and had no issue (except in the other bedroom socket, which triggers the same problem, even when appliances are split across different sockets in the problem bedroom).

The only thing that changed recently, a bulb blew in one of the bedside lamps and the missus put a bulb in with too high a wattage for the lamp, but I don't know if that would cause any problems? We've changed it back to be the right wattage anyway.

Any thoughts or suggestions what could be causing this?

Sponsored Links
Hi, it sounds like a loose connection, i would advise you not to use the sockets until the wiring has been checked. With the power switched off at the main switch, remove each socket and check the connections are secure and tight. If you are not confident with electrics please get an electrician.

You have checked the 4 way is not at fault ? I would check the socket that the 4way is plugged into has no loose connections first.

Regards,

DS

Hi DeadShort,

Yeah, tried a different adapter, but still the same issue.

Not sure if it is a loose connection, as each of the sockets works fine with 1 appliance. As soon as more than 1 appliance is plugged in (either 2 to 1 socket or 1 in each socket, not even necessarily switched on), the sockets immediately cut out. Lights remain fine and the electric box isn't tripped and after 5 mins it's back working again.

The main concern is a loose connection which when under load starts to ark which can cause a fire. As i have already said you need to check the connections on all the sockets on the circuit.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Lights remain fine and the electric box isn't tripped and after 5 mins it's back working again.

The lights and the sockets are on different circuits., So the light won't be affected by a problem on the sockets (unless they are actually plugged into a socket).

I agree that the most likely explanation is an overheating loose connection.

Worse than that, however, if your sockets are on a ring circuit, which is very likely, you must have got TWO faults. The ring has lost continuity. It is an undesirable feature of a ring that it will hide a single bad or broken connection.

It is possible that you have multiple sockets on a spur, which is also undesirable, not permitted, and liable to lead to the spur being overloaded and overheating.

Unless they are supplied by a 16a or 20a mcb ! Which would comply with the regs.

Regards,

DS

yes, they might be on a radial, but that is not so common in UK homes.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input, thinking about what you said, an overheating connection would make sense, especially as power returns after 5 mins or so once cooled.

Will take a proper gander midweek and see what's what!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back