Strange RCD shower isolator behaviour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had a shower installed a while ago by an electrician (I did the plumbing) which includes a 63A RCD about 1 meter away from the shower, inside a cupboard. All seems to be in order but I noticed today that when I do an RCD test it will only trip when the shower isolator is in the ON position. Also, when I test the RCD and trip it, the isolator neon stays ON even though the shower neon goes OFF.

My question are:

1) Is it normal for the RCD to only trip when the isolator is on? It don't seem right to me.

2) Should the isolator neon remain on after I trip the RCD with the test button? If so, where would it be getting it's power to supply the neon?

Strange indeed.

Thanx in advance for any help, regards,
Dean.

Sponsored Links
Ahhhhh, it just popped into my head.

The isolator is wired BEFORE the RCD. Of course, derrrr.

The RCD wont trip if the isolator is off because it has no power and the neon will always be on regardless on the RCD because it is "upstream" of the RCD.

Ok, my question is then: Do I need to swap the RCD and isolator around i.e. put the isolator in between the RCD and shower or does it not make a difference? Something tells me it would be better to have the isolator neon indicate the state of the RCD sort of thing.

Thanx/regards,
Dean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back