strange shower electrics problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello - i've got a weird problem with the shower - the RCD trips when the shower is off, and the isolator pullswitch is off. sometimes at the same time as the pullswitch is turned off usually a few minutes later.
its a protek b32 RCD, and looks newer than the rest of the RCDs in the panel. (rented house - not sure of the history)
i've replaced the pullswitch, but the problem seems to be getting worse. its a 10.5kw shower that i put in just over a year ago to replace the existing one that stopped working. it only started tripping a couple of months ago.

i think its strange that it doesn't happen when switching on, or during a shower, but after everything's switched off - does anybody have any ideas what might have gone wrong? and is it dangerous?

cheers, john

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify, is it definatly a B32 'RCD'? Does it have a test switch button on it with 30mA written on it somewhere? Or is it a B32 MCB?

If you have now installed a 10.5kW shower (although you put it in a year ago), this will need upgrading to a 40A mcb. However this can only be done if the cable supplying the shower is big enough. It's probably best to get a sparks to come out and have a look. Has the shower got an ECO setting? Setting the shower down to ECO might stop the MCB tripping until it is sorted.

Sponsored Links
cheers man,

but i'm still confused as to why it happens when its isolated...

I was assuming that the shower had just been in use when the MCB tripped? Or a few minutes after? A sparks will be able to test the cable to let you know if you have another sort of fault. Have recently adjusted the power on the shower?

its a 10.5kw shower that i put in just over a year ago to replace the existing one that stopped working.
Why on earth did you put a 10.5kW load on a 32A breaker?

Is your landlord happy with the idea of an ignorant and dangerous fool fiddling with his electrical installation?

the shower i took out was a 10.5kw - i thought it best to go with something the same

no - apparently it had been in for 6 years with no problem until the switch broke

Like I said, ignorant and therefore dangerous and therefore a fool to be fiddling with things you don't understand.

And your landlord is a bigger fool to allow you.

i'm guessing the landlord put the original shower in himself. and i'm an idiot for not checking everything before replacing it.

so let me get this straight - on a 32a circuit, the shower should be no more than 7kW.
i need to get an electrician in to assess the wiring, to see whether its the right rating to upgrade the MCB, otherwise replace the shower with a less powerful model.

whichever way, its going to cost the landlord, but make the whole thing safer.

Thats right mate, 7.5kW is your maximum you should have on it. Speak to your landlord and get a sparks in to see what you can have! As I said before if it has an ECO option, turn it to that until you have it sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back