Strange sized WC inlet connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So now I'm confused. I'm fitting a new WC and want to use a flexible tap connector to the inlet - but a 1/2" tap connector is too small (just) and a 3/4" connector is too big! I've heard that there is also 3/8", but unless I've really forgotten to do maths then that's smaller than 1/2" anyway.

Any idea what size connector I should be using?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So now I'm confused. I'm fitting a new WC and want to use a flexible tap connector to the inlet - but a 1/2" tap connector is too small (just) and a 3/4" connector is too big! I've heard that there is also 3/8", but unless I've really forgotten to do maths then that's smaller than 1/2" anyway.

Any idea what size connector I should be using?

Thanks

Where did you buy the WC from? I've fitted one for a customer who bought their WC from Bathstore, you should have an adapter that converts the 3/8" to 1/2". Its usually a plastic fitting.

Sponsored Links
No vinny, he said it's too BIG.

With Bahco on this one!

How is the OP measuring his tap connector and fittings, bearing in mind the thread sizes refer to the bore of the pipe, not the overall diameter of the thread?

1/4"BSP is about 1/2" OD
3/8"BSP is about 5/8" OD
1/2"BSP is about 3/4" OD
3/4"BSP is about 1" OD

I have encountered some oddball pipe fittings (made in poland IIRC) threaded M16 X 1.5mm pitch, which is neither a standard pipe thread or a standard metric thread. :confused:

Thanks everyone for the help so far - impressed by the great support!

So funnily enough it is from Bathstore, as per Vinny's reply. I'll have to look later whether there is an adaptor in the box - I didn't spot one.

Still confused though...if this is the solution then that means that a 3/8" fitting is larger than a 1/2" fitting!!!

had a similar thing a few weeks ago, the original inlet had a plastic connector on whic had split!

Easy solution (and quickest): throw the inlet away and buy one that conforms to British sizes. Saves loads of hassle now and in the future!

Thanks everyone for the help so far - impressed by the great support!

So funnily enough it is from Bathstore, as per Vinny's reply. I'll have to look later whether there is an adaptor in the box - I didn't spot one.

Still confused though...if this is the solution then that means that a 3/8" fitting is larger than a 1/2" fitting!!!

When I fitted one it wasn't in the box, my customer went back to Bathstore where they handed one to him....maybe worth a try.

So just to complete the story, the reducing adapter that converts to 1/2" was indeed in the box as Vinny suggested - I should have checked more carefully. Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back