Strange valve? underneath bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

There is a white plastic valve? connected to the cold water pipe running up to my shower (see photo). It has a small hole in the middle of the end face. Recently it has been, very slowly, leaking so I tried covering it in plumbers mait, which didn't work.

What is this part?

Could i replace it with a straight section of pipe or is a replacement part obtainable?

thanks

Sponsored Links
cant really identify it, looks like someones taken a dump on the pipe, take the turd off so we can see whats underneath

it's really hard to get the putty off! it's basically a short horizontal cylinder coming off the vertical pipe with a hole in the centre of the end face. on the other side there's an even shorter horizontal cylinder with a blank end face.

what normally goes on the cold water supply of a standard (non-power) shower? or are they connected directly off the mains pipe?

Sponsored Links
If I just took this out and replace it with normal pipe, what's the best way of bridging a short (~10 cm) gap like that? A flexible hose would probably have to be bent too sharply to work?

It could be a pressure reducing valve. Are you on mains cold, tank fed hot?

the cold is mains-fed, and the hot is from an old combi boiler with not particularly good flow rate

so i guess it is possible this is a PRV?

it only seemed to drip-leak after the cold water tap is turned off, not whilst it is running.

i hope they're all a standard length as it looks like i need to replace it!

I would hazard a guess as it being an old gate valve which had leaked at the gland/headgear and which some bodger had "fixed" with 2-part epoxy putty.
I doubt it serves any useful purpose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back