Strange 'window' in roof

L

longdogs

Hi

Just moved to an Edwardian house and have a strange 'thing' on the roof. sorry I can't post any pics because I can't actually see it from outside.

It appears to be a sheet of corrugated plastic set into the roof tiles and a lathe & plaster construction in the loft (completely enclosed) which reflects the light through a ceiling window onto the landing giving borrowed light.

I'm not concerned about it as we are having a re-roof next week and have opted for removing it and switching the light on when needed but I was just interested to know if anyone had seen this sort of thing before or whether it's just one of the many botched efforts I am slowly discovering on a daily basis.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a light or sun tunnel. Try a Google search for that, quite common, in dark halls and landings.

I'm about to fit one myself. The Velux ones are more expensive but very popular as you can see from this link.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks footprints, I will google that.

Had it been a Velux one I would have left it in place but my one is made from clear corrugated plastic. The only place I can see it is about a hundred yards away and it doesn't look pretty.

Sponsored Links
I googled sun tunnels and I recognise those as they are fairly modern but have never seen old versions of them. I reckon it must just be a DIY job, not done very well. It obviously is old because it's made from lathe and plaster. The inside of the ceiling glass is filthy with no way I can see to clean it. I was quite disappointed the first time I looked in the roof space as I imagined it was going to be full of daylight.

seen lots of variations, panes of glass stuck in with mastic, poly carbonate screwed in with wood screws, bits of perspex.. it goes on..

Update!
In the process of having the roof replaced, the roofer (who has been very helpful) removed the corrugated plastic to reveal an old window. When the plastic panels were removed from the landing ceiling we found a very nicely finished interior, The amount of natural light on the landing doubled instantly. I will now be replacing the widow with a small velux, removing the frame on the ceiling, re-plastering the whole lot and then painting it all white. It's actually really pleasant looking up and seeing blue sky. So something that started as an eyesore has turned out to be a nice feature.

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back