Strange wiring or just me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ill try my best to describe the issue.

I am in the process of replacing some of the light fittings in the house, and stumbled across a confusing one.

I have a light at the bottom of my stairs, one in the hall next to the front door, and an outside light.

From where I want to replace the light at the bottom of the stairs, there is 3 grey wires coming out the ceiling.

2 have +ve, -ve and earth and 1 has earth and -ve.

depending on what combo I use to cable, I can make the hall light switch on and off and have the stair light on constant. Or nothing at all. I can connect it so all 3 lights just ( and only just) glow. And have it connected in a way that allows about half light to outside and stair light, and the switch for the stairs control the outside light as well as the stair light.

Can someone please advise on what can be done??

Rgds
Graham

Sponsored Links
Tip: you dont have any +ve or -ves. You have lives, neutrals and switched lives. Oh, and black doesn't nessecarily mean neutral.

If you haven't noted what went where to start with, you've no chance. Please call an electrician. Electricity has no prejudices, it kills anyone. :cry:

The cables to start with where all in the ceiling, not connected, single terminator blocks in the end of each cable. Thought it was strange, but now I think I understand why stair light was not connected.

I was thinking along the lines of phone an electrician....

Rgds
Graham

Sponsored Links
Can anyone advise also why I have a cable with the 'red' wire cut back, so it would not connect to anything??

Rgds
Graham

look at the other end, you will probably find the same thing. Though this is not good practise, since all unused conductors should be earthed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back