Stream Music Through HiFi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a Linn Lifestyle system and a Project turntable (and Phono Box). I want to be able to stream music from the Internet via laptop or iPhone through the speakers. What do I need to be able to do this. Maybe a simple question but although I work in IT and was at one point interested in HiFi the two have not met in my head until now.

Sponsored Links
When I first saw the title of the thread, I was going to recommend the Bluetooth module I soldered into my old mini-system for £7, from Amazon.

....then I saw you had a Linn system! :confused:

I don't think an add-on module is going to cut it! :oops:

I'm afraid I don't have any recommendations for a hifi streamer (I have a Sony AV amp and Denon system with streaming built in).
All I can suggest is perusing sites such as:

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/streaming/best-music-streamers

Hopefully others may be able to provide specific recommendations! :)

Last edited:
Which system do you have ? I have a early Kiko that only connects to the network via ethernet cable, our old apple does a sterling job as its source manager, loads of old stuff on a NAS and Itunes still does a pretty good job of streaming direct. .. I thought everything post 2012 had bluetooth built in, so I am assuming your linn is older so really its just the codec that you want bluetooth LDAC is 32bit DAC,not quite loss less but pretty good. Anything after that is wired. We use a LAVA audio as a receiver for our phones, to be honest we cannot tell the difference between the lossless stuff shoved out by the apple and the direct stuff from an android phone. But I am nearing 60 and my ears are a bit hardened.

Sponsored Links
A cheap way of doing this is to get an Alexa echo dot and use the audio out to aux in. Will stream over wifi, - better IMHO than bluetooth, I find it perfectly adequate for casual listening.

A cheap way of doing this is to get an Alexa echo dot and use the audio out to aux in. Will stream over wifi, - better IMHO than bluetooth, I find it perfectly adequate for casual listening.

They are very good but their only output is 3.5mm jack as they have a don't have a very good DAC which means in practice a fair bit of hiss and clipping . On any high end system that becomes really annoying as they will try to play that hiss and crackle as part of the soundstage, its not for them to do a dolby on you and scrub it out. On an average or good hifi you wont notice it as they don't have the dynamic range... To really get the best of system you need a wired connection ie optical out so you get lossless from the source to the player. The wireless bluetooth debate then becomes irrelevant as both stream in the megabits per second range rather than the kilobits per second of lossless. Its just a case of stream without the conversion step being better than streaming with digital to analog conversion, ...what's the point of having £4k's worth of signal processor to bypass it with a £30 processed source ?

My Linn has its optical feed taken up by a blueray player so I use a lavaudio to supply the linn with a LDAC processed analogue source, its pretty good but when you swap over to the lav's optical port it becomes perfect....and that's the annoying bit...its like 4k v1080p v 720p, you think you don't notice but you do. If you want to play lossless you need to send it all the way to the receiver.

They are very good but their only output is 3.5mm jack as they have a don't have a very good DAC which means in practice a fair bit of hiss and clipping . On any high end system that becomes really annoying as they will try to play that hiss and crackle as part of the soundstage, its not for them to do a dolby on you and scrub it out. On an average or good hifi you wont notice it as they don't have the dynamic range... To really get the best of system you need a wired connection ie optical out so you get lossless from the source to the player. The wireless bluetooth debate then becomes irrelevant as both stream in the megabits per second range rather than the kilobits per second of lossless. Its just a case of stream without the conversion step being better than streaming with digital to analog conversion, ...what's the point of having £4k's worth of signal processor to bypass it with a £30 processed source ?

My Linn has its optical feed taken up by a blueray player so I use a lavaudio to supply the linn with a LDAC processed analogue source, its pretty good but when you swap over to the lav's optical port it becomes perfect....and that's the annoying bit...its like 4k v1080p v 720p, you think you don't notice but you do. If you want to play lossless you need to send it all the way to the receiver.

I'm sure that's all correct. But as I say, for casual listening it's an adequate solution. Depends what you want - TBH we are not audiophiles - we have Radio Paradise or Spotify or Radio 2 playing most of the time. Horses for courses.

Hello

I have a Linn Lifestyle system and a Project turntable (and Phono Box). I want to be able to stream music from the Internet via laptop or iPhone through the speakers. What do I need to be able to do this. Maybe a simple question but although I work in IT and was at one point interested in HiFi the two have not met in my head until now.

There are any number of solutions. At the budget end you have folk cobbling together bits of gear from the likes of Raspberry Pii, and then using third-party controller apps. Some of the results are good, but you do get the feeling that the owner is going to be on tech support call-out 24/7 because a lot of this stuff is based on opensource coding which could change any minute. There's a decent primer here

Less tech-fiddly are the various Bluetooth receivers for streaming using a phone or tablet. They work, but the audio quality via Bluetooth isn't all that even with the pseudo "Hi-Fi" variants of BT including aptX and aptX HD. There's a lot of transcoding going on to make the audio stream fit inside the limited bandwidth of Bluetooth. Using your phone as the streaming source also limits you (or at least your phone) to staying within 10 mtrs of the BT receiver. The results also rely on the phone having the same aptX / aptX HD support. If not, it'll fall back to one of the more basic versions of BT which don't sound as good.

All the above can be had for between £50 and £150 depending on how much work you're prepared to put in.

The market between £150 and £400 is kind of odd. There's a lot of me too type products from unfamiliar names. The Achilles heel with many is the controller apps you download on to a phone or tablet. If this sucks - which happens a lot with this section of the market because they don't spend enough on it or have the right skills - then the user experience becomes rather frustrating. One product that I think is worth looking at, and it's surprisingly inexpensive, is the Yamaha WXAD-10 for around £170.

Some reviews get a bit sniffy that it doesn't work with the voice control from Google home. Neither does my turntable or CD player and the house hasn't exploded yet. IMO, this obsession with voice control is akin to buying a car based purely on the SatNav. It's a distraction from the core function. Slightly more genuine is that the WXAD-10 doesn't support Sony's DSD audio format. I guess if you see yourself buying lots of Hi-Res audio file downloads for storage on a NAS drive then yeah, this could be a legitimate concern. However, if your main interest is streaming stuff direct of the internet then it's neither here nor there.

At £400+ you start to get in to the territory of the bigger brands. The Sonos Port at £400 is a plug-in media streamer much like the Yamaha. Myself and many in the trade would acknowledge that Sonos has never been the last word in audio fidelity, but the brand has perhaps the best control app of all, and very wide support for streaming services. What's taken a bit of a shine off their products was a debacle about three years ago.

Sonos decided out of the blue to drop support for all their Gen 1 gear. That not only meant that they wouldn't repair it, but that it would no longer work. That's kind of scary. We expect obsolesce with operating software, but to see thousands of Pounds worth of multiroom audio gear built up over several years be rendered useless isn't something Sonos devotees took too kindly too. There was a mass outcry forcing Sonos to moderate their approach, and the compromise they announced was that the gear would still work but the software wouldn't have new features or file support added, and that it wouldn't be possible to mix-n-match Gen 1 and Gen II gear together. It still left a bad taste in the mouths of customers and dealers alike.

Sonos Port is the replacement for the original ZP80/ZP100 and Connect streaming players. Something seems to have gone backwards though in sound quality. I can't recommend it other than for adding Sonos connectivity to say an older AV receiver, a sound bar or amp feeding some outdoor speakers; areas where sound quality is less critical.

Sonos hit the UK market in roughly 2005 and it was a game changer. Yamaha had been doing multiroom audio earlier. So had Linn. Each used a wired network for connecting the streaming players back to a central media library, and that was a bit of a problem if you didn't want floors lifted and walls chased just to have some music in various rooms. Sonos used Wi-Fi wireless as well as wired.

A few companies have had a go at stealing the Sonos crown. They all came a cropper either on price, or the app, or both. Of the lower-priced rivals, Pure Jongo got closest, but it wasn't ever good enough. Meanwhile, from Canada, a company got started in 2013 with a different market in mind. They wanted to tap the Hi-Fi enthusiast market with something that worked as slick as Sonos but sounded better. That company is Bluesound. Their Node product (£550) is functionally equivalent to the Sonos Port, but shows it a clean pair of heels in terms of sound quality.

Above this you have products ranging in price up to £30,000(!) - Linn Klimax DSM - and some very high performing ones that do more than simply stream.

One product that I think is worth looking at, and it's surprisingly inexpensive, is the Yamaha WXAD-10 for around £170.

Definitely a vote for the WXAD-10 - I have one on a Denon hifi system which also provides the sound for our TV, and it works really well - the musicast software is solid and it streams from all sources, plus it does voice control with amazon alexa. However, the downside is it appears to be discontinued which is why I didn't mention it before. A quick look and I couldn't see an equivalent to recommend.

Does the Linn have spare inputs? I have been thinking of getting one of these, but not got round to it yet ...

Bluetooth Audio Adapter

61ZMQI2iFqL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Definitely a vote for the WXAD-10 - I have one on a Denon hifi system which also provides the sound for our TV, and it works really well - the musicast software is solid and it streams from all sources, plus it does voice control with amazon alexa. However, the downside is it appears to be discontinued which is why I didn't mention it before. A quick look and I couldn't see an equivalent to recommend.

Peter Tyson has some/one at £169. They do mail order.

Peter Tyson has some/one at £169. They do mail order.

I doubt it - it says "available to order, date TBC", but they are discontinued on Yamaha and e.g. Richer sounds sites.....Pity - -it's a handy unit and I was thinking about getting another one.

There are any number of solutions. At the budget end you have folk cobbling together bits of gear from the likes of Raspberry Pii, and then using third-party controller apps. Some of the results are good, but you do get the feeling that the owner is going to be on tech support call-out 24/7 because a lot of this stuff is based on opensource coding which could change any minute. There's a decent primer here

I may have mentioned this before but I built one of these back around 2015/2016, I added an IR reciever and a LCD display to it, and it is connected to the optical input on my Denon hifi.

https://volumio.com/en/raspberry-pi-i2s-dac-sounds-so-good/

Only issue I find is internet streaming is becoming more and more of a walled garden, MP3/OGG streaming has been dying out over the last 20 years in favour of paid services and most of the radio stations use their own proprietary streaming app now days.

Behringer UCA202 - less than £20 on used market.. USB at one end to connect to laptop, twin phono output at line level at the other end, standard twin phono cable needed to plug into Tape In, Aux in or similar on your amp.

I've been using one for years.

More expensive solutions are available

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back