Strengthing Bars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, could anyone offer advice on the foloowing- I have some cracks in external brickwork (no structural movement) following a survey. The Engineer recommended that I insert some tie bars into the horizontal joints prior to re-pointing to add a bit of extra support/strength. Can someone please let have or know of the type and specification of the bars as well any tips onto how to carry the work out.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The engineer should tell you exactly what he wants! Can you reproduce the exact words from the report he gave.

If he has not said you must do it I then I really don't know what he is thinking about.

You could upload some photo's of the cracks and I am sure get a few sensible replies from the forum for a what I suspect may be some minor cracking in the joints.

Typical solution would be to just rake out the cracked joints deeply and repoint.

Sponsored Links
The engineer should tell you exactly what he wants!

sounds like a surveyor. not a se. but the helifix should cure your problem..
and it is quite a simple method.

I'd go for Thor Helical as they're easier to buy to use yourself. We've always found Helifix unwilling to sell the helibar and only supply it to their accredited installers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back